DC to NYC Rountrip

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CRAZYTERP

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Anyone know what the easiest (and cheapest) way to travel between dc and new york is? I am trying to get to NYMC but the directions on their website are basically a foreign language to me bc I have no idea how to get around NYC. If anyone is in the same boat (ie heading to nyc) it may be a goo d thing to know. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Where are you interviewing? At the Saint Vincents Medical Center? That is in New York City, however, I thought people normally interviewed at the campus in Valhalla, Westchester County (ie not New York City)?

when are you going to be there, crazyterp??? i'll be there the 22nd :)

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm....does anyone know a route from port authority to valhalla? i'm going to be coming from philly to nymc, and greyhound is cheaper than amtrak, and not much longer so i'm exploring that route.

if you talk to a student host, they might help you out. i called some guy i never really knew a lot about who graduated in my class from my undergrad, and he offered to pick me up anywhere in the city as long as it was after class! what a nice guy :)

I think the earliest I can interview (in Valhalla) is on the 5th of June. It would be totally cool to have someone familiar there though. I have found decent prices on AMTRAK, 144 round trip, but I am trying to figure out the best way to get to their campus from the city. If I find out anything I will be sure to post it.

Originally posted by CRAZYTERP
I think the earliest I can interview (in Valhalla) is on the 5th of June. It would be totally cool to have someone familiar there though. I have found decent prices on AMTRAK, 144 round trip, but I am trying to figure out the best way to get to their campus from the city. If I find out anything I will be sure to post it.

Valhalla is on the Metro North Harlem Line. It's $5.50 off peak, $7.50 peak from Grand Central.

-RA

Also, for DC to NYC, it's also worth checking the price of the USAirways shuttle flight. I think it flies every hour or so to LaGuardia, so you'd have to get from LaGuardia to Grand Central or something by subway/bus/whatever.

-RA

Thanks RA. I just spoke to a friend from Westchester and he said the shuttle from DC to New York is a good way to go, however, it is only cheaper if you purchase a packet of four round trip tickets for the price of three. For someone like myself this is not very economical, however, for many of you out there it may be of use. The shuttle flights are between DC and Laguargia, Laguardia and Boston, or DC and Boston. If you want to check it out here is the website.

http://www.usairways.com/about/corporate/shuttle/index.htm

Thanks RA. I just spoke to a friend from Westchester and he said the shuttle from DC to New York is a good way to go, however, it is only cheaper if you purchase a packet of four round trip tickets for the price of three. For someone like myself this is not very economical, however, for many of you out there it may be of use. The shuttle flights are between DC and Laguargia, Laguardia and Boston, or DC and Boston. If you want to check it out here is the website.

http://www.usairways.com/about/corporate/shuttle/index.htm

In case anyone's wondering, there is currently a GoYouth fare (if you're 22 or under) for the shuttle between LGA and DC if you fly off peak (10AM-2PM/7PM-10PM on weekdays, Sat/Sun) for only $98 roundtrip!!...

-RA

Just for your information...the Amtrak train from DC to Philly is about $100 round trip. Also, from Philly to NY, there is the Septa-train to NJ transit opion. That is about 50 dollars round trip, but it is MUCH slower. It takes about 2.5 hours one-way.

Good luck
WISC-ite

I should bump up the NY schools thread.

-RA