DD Form 368 (conditional release) IOT attend SGU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rebecca_chatul_tov

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am currently deployed. I came down on orders during the interview cycle after being a reapplicant due to a PCS move last year.

I am seriously considering just applying to SGU because of their January start option and using the GI bill/loans to pay for my schooling. Is it possible to get a conditional release and come back post-graduation for a residency with the Army?

Members don't see this ad.

The Army (and the military in general) don't accept Caribbean or foreign medical school grads.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

The Army (and the military in general) don't accept Caribbean or foreign medical school grads.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Our brigade surgeon told me that she had several work colleagues that were IMGs from SGU as of last week. I'm not eligible for HSPS at SGU, but I'm just looking for a guaranteed residency in the US.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So I am currently deployed. I came down on orders during the interview cycle after being a reapplicant due to a PCS move last year.

I am seriously considering just applying to SGU because of their January start option and using the GI bill/loans to pay for my schooling. Is it possible to get a conditional release and come back post-graduation for a residency with the Army?

Only possible if you decide to take the Army HPSP

Army HPSP doesn't take Caribbean grads

I'm just looking for a guaranteed residency in the US.
Then going to SGU, the Caribbean, or any non-US medical school is nuts.

The writing is on the wall. Medical school slots (particular DO but also MD to a lesser extent) are increasing, but residency slots are not. And don’t have to, as there are plenty more residency slots than graduating medical students.

But the pinch is going to be felt by IMGs (including SGU or any Carib grads) and they will run the risk of either not finding a residency or being limited to the crappy ones.

If you have any shot at getting a US-MD/DO slot, you should take it. It will help for the military, it will help for residency, and it will make for more career options down the road.

At this point, I advise folks considering international medical schools to seriously consider the PA or NP route. Carib is only a reasonable choice if you’re SURE you’re going into family, peds, or psych and don’t mind doing it at a grinder of a residency in undesirable conditions. And even if that sounds like a grand plan (and it shouldn’t), you don’t really know that unless you’re halfway through medical school

Avoid.

Reactions: 1 users
Avoid SGU and other carribean schools at all costs. They are money traps and you are setting yourself up for failure if you enroll there. Buckle down and get the numbers you need to get into a US school. If you can't get the numbers for a US school, then become a PA or NP.

Reactions: 1 user
Army residency slots are saved for their own HPSP/USUHS grads. However they do open up a few slots every year via post-match SOAP.

Or go to USUHS.

My BPCM is 3.22 and my overall GPA is 3.35 - I took the DAT right before I deployed. I could take the MCAT during mid-tour leave maybe, if I can get some time to study. I'm a prior service captain/battalion S1 with 11 years. Would USUHS care about that more than my blah GPA?

My BPCM is 3.22 and my overall GPA is 3.35 - I took the DAT right before I deployed. I could take the MCAT during mid-tour leave maybe, if I can get some time to study. I'm a prior service captain/battalion S1 with 11 years. Would USUHS care about that more than my blah GPA?

They care more about your GPA. USUHS admissions is similar to that of most U.S. MD schools: they want to see the numbers (avg GPA 3.5, avg MCAT 30 or whatever the equivalent is the new scoring system.......if you lack in one number, you better bulk up in the other).

They care about gpa, MCAT, clinical experience, and your commitment to military service. They want to see all of those. If you’re lacking a bit in one, the rest need to pick up the slack. What’s your clinical experience like? Your prior service totally helps. If you rock the MCAT and get some solid clinical experience, you’ll have a good shot.

Make sure you give yourself enough time to study for MCAT- it will be one of the most important factors of your application.

Those numbers aren’t good enough USUHS or any MD school. I’ve seen DO schools, especially the new crappy ones run out of trailers, happily take those numbers and that is fine for the military.

Being an active duty physician from an ECFMG is possible, but not recommended. Some people can do FAP after a civilian residency. I’ve seen a few people picked up for residency but it is special case.

With that gpa you will have to end up doing a special master's program (SMP) that will allow you to take medical school courses and be graded against medical students. Most optimally a SMP with a direct linkage into their medical school. Your gpa is a red flag for being able to handle medical school course load. At this point no amount of post bachelor classes will get you even remotely close to a good gpa for med school. You have to prove to admissions directly with an SMP. Expensive however. I had to do one and it costed me 70k for that year. And that school didn't even bother accepting me despite my above average performance (much bitterness remains). Just for reference my undergrad gpa was 2.95

Of course this assumes your MCAT score will be up to snuff as well. Good luck though, your path will be long and painful should you choose to go down it.