dds or dmd

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Samar

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what the difference between a DDS and a DMD...i know what the initals stand for...but in terms of practicing dentistry how is it effected by the different degrees..?

Members don't see this ad.

In terms of practicing dentistry both degrees are completely equivalent.

if both are the same..why have different ones? :confused: is there any difference at all?

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no difference. Once you begin private practice, you may be faced with some credential recognition challanges amongst prospective patients if most of your peers are DDS while you are DMD and vice versa.

A little late, but I believe the DDS and DMD are related only to individual state requirements. In Massachussets and Pennsylvania, graduates of all the dental schools in those states earn the DMD; in New York, all dental school graduates have the DDS conferred. Licensing, however, does not depend on which degree was awarded--they are equivalent and differ in name only.

I suppose many will consider Doctor of Dental Medicine as having more "prestige" than Doctor of Dental Surgery, but holders of
either degree have the same training.

The way I see it is to just think of it as Bachelor of Science vs. Bachelor of Art. They bother confer the same thing.

It does perplex me as to why a Biology major would receive a BA degree, since bio is not an art?????? :confused:

The BA is a degree conferred by liberal arts colleges, regardless of major. If science is not an "art" neither are languages, English, history, philosophy, accounting, etc.

Originally posted by Doggie:
•It does perplex me as to why a Biology major would receive a BA degree, since bio is not an art?????? :confused:

If you can define "art" then you'll have your answer for why even a biology, chemistry, or mathematics major would receive a B.A. (Bachelor of Arts, Artes Baccalaure-something or other).