DDS/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kung Foo

Mad Scientist...
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Are there any DDS/PhD's out there who check these postings? I start lab rotations this summer and dental school in the fall - and am looking for any advice you have to offer to a newbie - thanks! :D

Members don't see this ad.

hm...interesting. What exactly do you intend to do with both degrees? What do you plan on doing the PhD in?

You can be a professor at a dental school and do research in the dental sciences with a DDS/PhD. You might try posting in the dental school section or pre-dental, any DDS applicants/students would be more likely to frequent those areas.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, "Superman" is correct in that DDS/PhD's, are mostly involved in academia or research, just like MD/PhD's. They also work in industry and administration/government. Personally, I'm planning on practicing part time and being involved in research otherwise (but heaven knows how those plans will change in the future). The PhD is in oral biology and can focus in a number of general areas including inflammation/immunity, cellular and molecular biology, biomaterials, or neuroscience. I'm hoping to become involved in viral immunology or neuro-endocrine immune response research.

I posted to this board because I find many of the topics very relevant to my own situation and to the special issues that pop up with a lengthy combined clinical/research training program, and thought that, indeed, others in my own situation may also find the discussion relevant and check the postings.

What's crackin y'all!

I'm a DDS/PhD student at University of Washington. We're looking for new recruits, and I'm looking to meet other kids interested in academic dentistry, whether you're doing a PhD or not.

My research pursues application of computational biology / bioinformatics, specifically protein interaction prediction, to the understanding of bone dynamics. The goal is to create a working model/simulation of bone, in effort to create new treatments to induce regeneration of the periodontium.

Kung Fizzil, although I'm relatively new at this as well, I've spoken at length with a few of the OG DDS/PhD students, who have now completed their programs. I also had to apply for my own grant (F30) to support my program, so I may be able to field some questions, etc.

Initially, I would recommend finding a PI (professor to do research with) who is very supportive, and even more flexible. Unless your program follows the MD/PhD model (2 years dental school, 4 years PhD, 2 years dental school) – which mine does not, you will really need someone that will let your progress wax and wane for the first few years. You will probably have to be flexible on the project you choose within the lab, as things may develop while you take time away from research for dental school classes (again, my situation).

Try to find someone in your school who is doing the DDS/PhD or combined specialty/PhD or masters program. They will give you insight into the specific difficulties of balancing clinical work and research at your school, and who in particular to appease or avoid. Balance of time has already become an issue for me; rely heavily on your program director, department chair, and deans for advice; you will need it!

Also, attend as many research seminars as possible to become familiar with the work being done at your school and affiliated institutions. That is how I found my PI. I don’t think anyone will make you require you to work with someone specifically in the dental school, but if you do pursue someone outside the school (i.e. Dept of Immunology), find a dental school prof (researcher) to serve as your point-person for application/relevance of your research to dentistry. They can serve as your advocate in many ways; mine has already done so.

Journal clubs might be a good way of interacting with more experienced graduate students within or outside of your department. We recently set up one in our school, which has connected me to the straight PhD students (most of whom are already dentists as well).

Seek, think, and prosper!
Anyone, feel free to email me at [email protected], especially if I don't reply to further posts.

I'd really like to do a dds/phd program, but it seems like all the schools that have it are public/instate schools and it is really hard to get into their DDS program..