DDS vs. DMD

Discussion in 'Dental' started by DAPLAYA, Nov 9, 2002.

1. DAPLAYA

DAPLAYA Junior Member

sorry if this has been asked before, but is there a difference between the two degrees (in terms of prestige, training, or otherwise)? and which do students usually prefer? thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. doctorsquared

doctorsquared Member

There is no difference in training, accreditation or experience. The degrees are equal. Any advanced program will consider these degrees the same. My impression is that a small minority of patients relate the DMD to the MD degree and think that they are REAL doctors. Some small minority of patients think that the DDS is "surgeon of dentistry.":rolleyes:

I don't think it matters one bit. Go to the school you like because you like the program or location or financial reasons.

Jon

4. DAPLAYA

DAPLAYA Junior Member

so the DDS/DMD issue is NOT like the MD/DO issue, right? i guess in dentistry both degrees are truly equivalent, unlike in medicine where an MD is considered more prestigious by most.

5. gryffindor

Dentist

Dentist
    Yes, the degrees are truly equal, not like the MD/DO thing. DDS/DMDs do the same exact procedures as dentists, belong to the same ADA, and apply for and train in the same residencies and specialties. There are no "DDS only" or "DMD only" residencies as there can be in medicine (DO-only or MD-only). A friend of mine here in dental school will graduate with a DDS and go to work for his father who attended a different dental school and has a DMD.

It is merely a historical difference between the two and just depends on which degree your dental school awards. Back in the day, some schools thought they'd give DMD, some decided on DDS. Since they mean the same thing now, the schools have just kept the difference going as a historical thing.

There is absolutely no difference in prestige either (as you allude to with the MD/DO thing).

So based on that, listen to what doctorsquared said and pick your school based on the curriciulm/students/clinic, etc, not on if it gives a DDS or DMD.

6. williestyle81

williestyle81 Senior Member

The MD and DO degrees are equivalent. DO's are just as much 'real' docs as MD's. DO's jsut have an additional amount of training in manipulation medicine. But they can do everything an MD does + manipulation. By the way, osteopathic medicine has been around for over 100 years.
    -EMW