Membership Revoked
Removed
Removed
Account on Hold
7+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student
they tried that before n it didnt work. the mailing envelopes were sold for $3.99 at cvs? ppl asked but never bought one. not even one.

KidPharmD

Pediatric ER Pharmacist
5+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2014
Status
Pharmacist
Those envelopes we had at CVS couldn't be used for controlled substances. Of course, this rule also assumes that pharmacies will volunteer to take the drugs back. Drug disposal costs money.

Old Timer

10+ Year Member
May 16, 2007
Status
Pharmacist
Not in Pennsylvania. You might be able to frack for gas, but you need a hazardous waste permit to take back prescription medication.

Reactions: tatumth

npage148

10+ Year Member
May 2, 2005
Us
Status
Pharmacist
That's because fracking isn't hazardous to the environment or population

/sarcasm

trailerpark

5+ Year Member
May 27, 2013
Status
Pharmacist
All controlled medications should be flushed down the ****ter.
upload_2014-9-9_21-27-27.jpeg

zelman

7+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Those envelopes we had at CVS couldn't be used for controlled substances. Of course, this rule also assumes that pharmacies will volunteer to take the drugs back. Drug disposal costs money.
According to the label, that is correct. However, I may or may not have just told people to leave off the return address and drop the envelope in the mailbox.

zelman

7+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
How do you treat the water supply to then remove it? Anyone who fails a drug test could allege contaminated water.
I'm not a water purification engineer. I just read FDA approved labeling.
Duragesic Label said:
  • Used patches should be folded so that the adhesive side of the patch adheres to itself, then the patch should be flushed down the toilet immediately upon removal. Patients should dispose of any patches remaining from a prescription as soon as they are no longer needed. Unused patches should be removed from their pouches, folded so that the adhesive side of the patch adheres to itself, and flushed down the toilet.
  • For more information about DURAGESIC®, talk to your doctor or call 1-800-526-7736, 9:00 AM - 5:00PM (EST), Monday through Friday.

owlegrad

Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Locked in the basement
www.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist
The FDA does recommend flushing unneeded controls down the toilet. I usually tell people to mix it with kitty litter or coffee grinds and throw them out with the trash that way. I don't care for the idea of 'medicated' water supply.

zelman

7+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
The FDA does recommend flushing unneeded controls down the toilet. I usually tell people to mix it with kitty litter or coffee grinds and throw them out with the trash that way. I don't care for the idea of 'medicated' water supply.
Same recommendation for the urine of those on meds that are excreted unchanged, I assume?

Ackj

10+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2008
Status
Pharmacist
From the landfill it will leech into the water supply anyway. Tell your patients to send it to NASA, so they can be discarded in a safe, extra-planetary manner.

Reactions: owlegrad

owlegrad

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Locked in the basement
www.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist
Same recommendation for the urine of those on meds that are excreted unchanged, I assume?
Right, I am sure the amount drug in urine is the same as the amount of drug in an unused bottle.

Although this made me think of when I did a rotation in nuclear pharmacy. There are special instructions for people who take radioactive iodine in regards the urinating. I think it is something like flush the toilet three times or something like that.

owlegrad

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Locked in the basement
www.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist
From the landfill it will leech into the water supply anyway. Tell your patients to send it to NASA, so they can be discarded in a safe, extra-planetary manner.
I don't like to think of things in a landfill getting into the water supply, lol. ;)