SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!
  1. Prosthoman

Prosthoman Banned Banned

May 29, 2006
    hey all:
    this might be stupid but I am going to ask cuz I am a new practitioner. Do we need a DEA number for any drug that we prescribing or just it is needed for a controled subs. For example, I just applied for my DEA number, however, they told me it will take about 2 weeks. So, can I prescribe antibiotic or stuff like that to my pt.? I know for a controlled subs I have to have DEA number

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. ItsGavinC

ItsGavinC Dentist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Arizona
    You shouldn't need your DEA number for non-controlled substances. In fact, the DEA encourages you to NOT list your DEA number on scripts for non-controlled substances, in order to prevent fraud. If your state requires it, however, then you'll need it.

As an aside, soon you'll simply use your NPI number for scripts. The DEA number will be required in addition for narcotics.

4. Prosthoman

Prosthoman Banned Banned

May 29, 2006
    Thanks alot

5. ivyleaguediver

ivyleaguediver 10+ Year Member

Sep 29, 2005
    Boston

6. Prosthoman

Prosthoman Banned Banned

May 29, 2006
    Thanks a lot for informative reply

7. sandiego

sandiego

May 2, 2007
    Hey, sandiego here. Is it true in Oregon that it is NOT considered unprofessional conduct for a dentist to treat a condition beyond the scope of the dental license? Something about the statues and it would be diciplinary but not 'unprofessional conduct'?
    Thanks

8. Prosthoman

Prosthoman Banned Banned

May 29, 2006
    I am not sure, but I would think it is an unprofessional conduct: I have heard about the case that a general dentist was tx pt for skin tx so his license was suspended due to " unprofessional conduct"
    that is I assume treating someone byound your license