bmonkey

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
May 18, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
If my DUI from 5 yrs ago shows up from a background check after MAY 15 and they drop me, I kinda screwed right since I've had to drop my other acceptances.

VneZonyDostupa

PGY-6 (ID Fellow)
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2007
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
If my DUI from 5 yrs ago shows up from a background check after MAY 15 and they drop me, I kinda screwed right since I've had to drop my other acceptances.
Don't you have to declare things like that on AMCAS? I would think lying about a DUI on your application would sort of blacklist you, but I could be wrong.

OP
bmonkey

bmonkey

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
May 18, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Convictions yes but defered prosecutions (aka plea bargain) no.

Margaux1985

0k member
10+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2008
The great plains of NYC
Status
Pre-Medical

Have you called up your school and asked them about this? I don't think they would drop you. You weren't convicted and you this happened 5 years ago. I think the amount of time that goes by is a mitigating factor when schools make these decisions. It would be pretty extreme for them to rescind an offer based on something that happened 5 years ago and to which you weren't convicted.

searun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you answered the relevant questions on the AMCAS applications truthfully and were honest during your interviews, I don't think that you will have a problem. If you received a diversion rather than a conviction, then you were not convicted for DUII. I think you are ok.

Tutmos

MS0
10+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Remember schools have an abundance of applicants. They're looking for reasons to exclude massive numbers of people. Unless you're head and shoulders above most of the other applicants then I'd agree with you, that it is the kiss of death, if it appears on the record in any form, regardless of conviction status. Depending on the type of check they run and the state of offense it can show up even after dismissal for decades.

cpants

10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
If they drop you, yes you are screwed. I'm guessing you didn't ever inform them that you had a DUI? What were you actually convicted of? In a plea deal you still get convicted, just of a different crime. Did you inform them of this conviction?

There is a chance they still wouldn't drop you if they found the conviction, depending on what it is. The reason they do these checks is not to get rid of people they have accepted. When you apply for medical licensure they will do similar checks. So the med school wants to be sure there is nothing on your record that would preclude you for licensure before they invest 4 years in training you. It is really for your benefit to find this out before you waste your time and money on med school.

braintrust

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
May 17, 2007
Hawaii
Status
Medical Student
wow that would suck.

searun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If they drop you, yes you are screwed. I'm guessing you didn't ever inform them that you had a DUI? What were you actually convicted of? In a plea deal you still get convicted, just of a different crime. Did you inform them of this conviction?

There is a chance they still wouldn't drop you if they found the conviction, depending on what it is. The reason they do these checks is not to get rid of people they have accepted. When you apply for medical licensure they will do similar checks. So the med school wants to be sure there is nothing on your record that would preclude you for licensure before they invest 4 years in training you. It is really for your benefit to find this out before you waste your time and money on med school.
Most states have a diversion program for first time DUII offenders. You apply for a diversion, take alcohol and drug classes, keep your nose clean, and the prosecutor drops the charge. If you get another DUII, then you are totally screwed. But I think the OP is in the first category. It is not a criminal conviction, it is a diversion, that is different. So I think that you do not have to report it as a conviction on AMCAS if you went through a diversion program. But do not screw up again. I am not an expert on this stuff but that is my impression.

HumidBeing

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2007
Keeping Warm
Status
Yes, you'd be screwed for the year if they dropped you. That probably won't happen, though, as long as it was a deferral, you haven't lied to the school, and don't lie about anything if they ask you about it. Dropping applicants after they've been accepted just isn't something that happens very frequently. Once you've been accepted, they aren't looking for reasons to cull you, unless something comes up that would get in the way of your eventually being able to practice.

orrghead16

decimals and dollars
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
You don't know what you are talking about. A "continuation without finding" is a legal exemption from having the DUI on your record. However, medical schools will know that you drove drunk. It is reviewed subjectively. The adcoms may vary on how much they weight this negative event of your life. I know doctors and med students with DUI's.

Good luck, man. There is a horrible stigma on DUI offenders. Often, they remain sober afterwards. We all have made mistakes. Many times, like in our cases, we were just being spoiled young kids who knew no better. Don't let hypocrites and people who have never ventured outside of their comfort zone enough to ever drink get all authoritative.

Be ready to talk about the experience. In my case, my desire to attend medical school is contingent upon it. It woke me up.
:thumbup: Good post.

decafplease

Medical Student
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2007
Status
Medical Student
You don't know what you are talking about. A "continuation without finding" is a legal exemption from having the DUI on your record. However, medical schools will know that you drove drunk. It is reviewed subjectively. The adcoms may vary on how much they weight this negative event of your life. I know doctors and med students with DUI's.

Good luck, man. There is a horrible stigma on DUI offenders. Often, they remain sober afterwards. We all have made mistakes. Many times, like in our cases, we were just being spoiled young kids who knew no better. Don't let hypocrites and people who have never ventured outside of their comfort zone enough to ever drink get all authoritative.

Be ready to talk about the experience. In my case, my desire to attend medical school is contingent upon it. It woke me up.
I'm glad your experience woke you up and caused you to straighten yourself out. But...didn't know better? That sounds like a cop-out. And the people who have a hard time accepting another person drinking and driving are not all hypocrites or teetotalers. There are plenty of people who drink and "know better" than to drink and drive. It's called a Designated Driver or a taxi.

I totally agree that everyone makes stupid mistakes, though. Some are more preventable than others. I think it's good advice to be open and discuss it. If they don't hear it from you, they're going to wonder how much you've matured since the incident.

PainKiller69, I'm wondering how you feel about how law & order handle the DUII? An immediate family member of mine was arrested for DUII so I'm well aware of the process.

cpants

10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician

I agree with you that a DUI, or any other conviction for that matter, shouldn't haunt you for the rest of your life. Once you do your time, your debt should be paid and no one should be able to access your records. Child molesters are an exception.

I love to drink, but I can't say that I have much sympathy for drunk drivers. You put everyone at risk when you get behind the wheel drunk. I know this first hand, since a member of my own family was almost killed when he was run over by a drunk cop. You knew better. Everyone knows you don't drive while drinking.

I don't feel bad for spoiled brats who drove drunk. I feel bad for the poor kid who got caught with a few grams of weed in his pocket, and now will never be able to get a government job in most states or receive federal financial aid to get an education. Now thats a screwjob.

10+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2006
Status
Medical Student

For some reason this post reminds me of my patient a few days ago who complained about inheriting the obesity gene, the anxiety gene, and the diabetes gene. If it wasn't for all these darn things that are way beyond her control, she would be the pinnacle of good health.

skibunny

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
May 3, 2008
Lake Tahoe
Status
Pre-Medical
Not to worry you will be fine as you were not convicted as long as you have stayed out of trouble. gl

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
I think it is incredibly unfair to address those that speak out about drunk driving as preachers, "goody two-shoes", or anything else. Intentionally getting into a 2-ton piece of metal while under the influence of alcohol is not something you can writeoff. When approached about this, it doesn't matter who is speaking, they have the "right" to not condone driving intoxicated.

OP, AMCAS requires you disclose convictions. If you were not convicted this may not be on your record. If you are worried, process a bground check on yourself.

Even if the school does not approach you about this incident, the moral judgement should tell you to never do it again and that it was a very unwise situation.

flip26

10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Failure to disclose this transgression is probably a bigger deal killer than the actual transgression itself (not condoning the drunk driving, but usually the cover up is a bigger problem than the original crime).

Not a lawyer, and don't know the AMCAS rules, so maybe your situation did not require disclosure, and I certainly would not volunteer anything I am not required to disclose.

Seems like you should have checked this out before now...obviously you had a lawyer - call him and ask him about any marks on your record that would show up in a background check...

Depakote

Pediatric Anesthesiologist
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
SOCMOB
Status
Attending Physician
If you answered every question asked truthfully to the letter it was asked, you should be covered.

Also, I believe it is possible to run a background check on yourself for a fee. You can search for sites that offer this service. It might be worth it to see what the schools will see.

Begaster

10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2007
Status

This horrible stigma isn't because we don't drink. I drink a lot. The stigma is because drunk drivers kill people. Quite often, in fact.

sieve

10+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2008
Status
It's an incredibly stupid mistake and it's a reflection of their current judgment in most circumstances. People rarely change drastically.

I agree.
Laws encourage people to make the right decisions, but this is a character thing. As a doctor, one must consistently use good moral judgment, irregardless of the possibility of getting caught.

smeagol

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2007
Status
This reminds me of that crap on the news every once in awhile about some jackass who grew up in a poor community and got addicted to something such as cocaine. He becomes clean and "turns his life around", and they overplay him like some hero who overcame adversity and came out a good person. What about the millions who have done the right thing from the start?

But we need to give those guys who turn their life around some additional praise!

This is not because they are more commendable than those who have it right from the beginning, but because we want to ensure that they stay in order and simultaneously encourage people with like problems to change their ways as well.

If we didn't praise them, they might lose some extra motivation to get their life in order as a result of feeling less special. Praising people is cheap; it doesn't cost any money and thus could not hurt :D