Deadline is Monday and I am short one PT reference. HELP!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amelia42188

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the program deadline for one of the schools I'm applying to is November 3rd- Western Kentucky University. They require all suplemental materials to be in by the end of November.

The person that I counted most on using for my PT reference is not responding to my email verifying that she can be a reference. I sent it out Monday and not it's Wednesday. I know that she works every day but Thursday.

So Question 1: How do I get another PT refrenece when I didn't know any Pt's really that well? I have 150 hours of volunteer in 5 different settings, so I didn't get to know anyone even close to well, but was friendly with this particular PT that's not responding. I guess desperate times may call for desperate measures, and I may have to go to some PT's that may not even remember me (I did all my PT hours last winter, like December 2013 through February 2014).

Also, in case I don't make the Monday, November 3 deadline- does anyone know if I can add a reference after I e-submit my PTCAS application?

Members don't see this ad.

I also applied to to WKU and unless their website is missing something you aren't required to have LOR for them.

http://www.wku.edu/physicaltherapy/dpt_admission_requirments.php

If you still need LOR for other programs, I'd try working backwards with your most recent PT experience and see if anyone responds. A mediocre letter is still better than being rejected for not having all the materials.

@hearditfromfiver on ptcas wku is asking for two references - one must be from a PT. Perhaps it's not required, just suggested? I'm not sure. Im going to visit their campus tomorrow, I'll ask and report back

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a PT fail to do a letter in time for me as well. She was the one I knew the best and said she would do it, and then disappeared off the face of the earth. I already had one PT letter in, but had a school that required 2 from PTs, so when it got within 3 weeks of the deadline I asked a different PT that hardly knew me to do one, just so my boxes would at least be checked. He thought it was a little questionable, but was a nice guy about it and when I explained that I was really in a pinch to him he agreed to help me out. I had already paid and applied to the school because the first PT (who flaked) promised me (in person) she would do it, so a letter from someone who didn't know me very well was better than no letter (assuming he didn't write anything patently negative, which other schools that didn't need that letter would end up seeing, but which I seriously doubt - I imagine it was just minimal neutral comments).

So things like this do come up and can be dealt with. It will definitely hurt your chances a bit (depending on how much emphasis the school places on LORs, it seems to vary school to school), but it won't hurt your chances more than not applying would! Just depends if you are willing to throw your 100 bucks at the proverbial admissions roulette wheel of that school for a shot.

Also, in case I don't make the Monday, November 3 deadline- does anyone know if I can add a reference after I e-submit my PTCAS application?

Yes. It clearly states in both the application instructions for PTCAS and the FAQ that you can.

If the school has a later deadline for the LORs than for the main application then maybe you will be fine. Calling up a PT you don't really know on a Thursday and asking them for a LOR by Monday is a little much...

@hearditfromfiver on ptcas wku is asking for two references - one must be from a PT. Perhaps it's not required, just suggested? I'm not sure. Im going to visit their campus tomorrow, I'll ask and report back

I hope your visit goes well tomorrow and I hope they clear up the reference question. I haven't had a chance to visit the campus and would love to hear about your experience. I hope you're able to get in contact with your PT. I was in a similar situation to @knj27 and so I know your stress. Good luck with everything!

I was in a similar situation to @knj27 and so I know your stress.

:thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I hope that nothing bad happened to the PT that vanished on me...because it is amazingly unprofessional to say you'll do it and then just not do and never respond to emails or texts about it. :smack:

If it's any reassurance, the same thing happened to me this summer. I emailed a professor to remind him about the letter, and did not hear back for three weeks. Just as I started emailing different professors that I barely knew, the first responded and explained that he was on vacation.

Two days is not long enough to freak out, to be honest. The pt may not be ignoring you, but there are so many other reasons why they might have not read their email in a few days. Call the pt or show up in person if you're nearby.

I also applied to to WKU and unless their website is missing something you aren't required to have LOR for them.

http://www.wku.edu/physicaltherapy/dpt_admission_requirments.php

If you still need LOR for other programs, I'd try working backwards with your most recent PT experience and see if anyone responds. A mediocre letter is still better than being rejected for not having all the materials.

http://www.ptcas.org/ptcas/public/Listing.aspx?seqn=1289&navid=10737426784

WKU wants two letters of recommendation, one needs to be from a PT and then there are many other options they give for the second one

Thanks for the responses everyone. I will be going to the clinic tomorrow morning. Which I am nervous about since I haven't been there since April. I'm sure it will go okay though.

@hearditfromfiver, WKU was awesome. One of the professors took me on a tour of the department, showed me the cadaver lab, exercise labs, and all other facilities. I got a chance to meet with some of the students, and all were very nice. It's a very busy little town, but the PT program seems super tight-nit and supportive of each other. They said that the most important parts for getting into WKU are the interview and the essay. So I'm not going to freak out too much more about the reference. Just gotta do it lol.