Deadline is today decide. Should I drop inorganic chemistry as a post bacc/masters student.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thaiboxing

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I currently have a sub 3.0 overall G.P.A. My last 16 credits at a local university have been straight A's, taking all upper level courses, Cell Biology, Immunology, Biomedicinal Chemistry, and Comparative Animal Physiology with lab.

This fall semester I plan to take the DATs and apply by late October (which I know is pretty late). I'm currently enrolled for a grad level Neuroscience course (4 credits) , Anatomy & Physiology (3 credits), and Inorganic Chemistry (the hard version, 400 level. 3 credits).

I'm wondering if I should drop Inorganic chemistry as it is a difficult class and since it's not really pertinent to the dental school curriculum. Right now we're learning point groups and symmetry and I'm already pretty lost. But at the same time during my undergrad I had struggled with chemistry courses, so I think it would look good to take the course to show the dental admission committees that I can handle more rigorous chemistry classes than the pre reqs they require.

So I guess my real question is although I don't plan on this, how bad would it look if I end up getting a B or even a C in inorganic chemistry if I decide to take it. As I do have a job and have to study for the DATs while taking those courses. And would 26 credits of taking additional courses along with possibly an additional 12 or so credits in the spring show that I could handle dental school, along with of course good DATs and volunteering.

Members don't see this ad.

Inorganic chemistry is HARD. If you get behind on point groups and symmetry, you will not do well the rest of the semester. If you end up not dropping the course, make sure to put A LOT of effort on that class. It only gets harder from there.

Yeah I think i'm going to stick with it. I originally thought physical chemistry 1/2 were both a pre req but he said that it isn't and that the class is not math intensive. He also told me the average grade has consistently been around a 78% for past classes. So i'm hoping I can can do well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, study hard and you'll be more than fine. Make sure to fully grasp the first concepts because it comes back all semester!