Deadline to take step 2 CK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mercaptovizadeh

ἐδάκρυσεν ὁ Ἰησοῦς
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen any updated threads on this, but when do programs start finalizing rank lists, and by when do I need my step 2 CK score in? I haven't taken it yet, don't feel ready, and would like to take it in early January, but can't find anything until January 15, which takes me at the earliest to early February for score reporting. Is this too late? Do I need to push like mad and take this exam instead in the end of December? I feel totally unprepared (I've only done ~10% of USMLE world questions, that's all my preparation).

Members don't see this ad.

Haven't seen any updated threads on this, but when do programs start finalizing rank lists, and by when do I need my step 2 CK score in? I haven't taken it yet, don't feel ready, and would like to take it in early January, but can't find anything until January 15, which takes me at the earliest to early February for score reporting. Is this too late? Do I need to push like mad and take this exam instead in the end of December? I feel totally unprepared (I've only done ~10% of USMLE world questions, that's all my preparation).

I think this varies a lot from program to program. I'd check their individual websites to get that information.

I think this varies a lot from program to program. I'd check their individual websites to get that information.

This is spot on, my home program had their rank list meeting 3 weeks ago. It is finalized and they won't make any other changes. I know a few other programs that do them the evening after their last interview date. Once they do them, they are usually set. It seems most programs do not wait until February and tinker around with rankings up until the last minute like we do as applicants. They set it and forget it, so to speak. That's my roundabout way of saying you may be too late already...

Alright so its been a while now since Ive had my score got it 23/12/13 ... im a Carib IMG from Canada and have been posting frequently recently. Just wanted to share a somewhat disappointing/diff experience compared to SDN standards.
Background: Step 1 (248), Clerkships: shelf 80s- low 90s, finished surgery last rotation 10/2013
Prep time 2 months:
1mo (october)- forcing myself to do some kaplan qbank and DIT which was brutal lost some motivation there but i was burnt out from back to back clerkships and surgery so it was kind of a break
2mo (november)- started Uworld second pass.. 1st pass was 77% timed random during rotations in prep for SHELFs
- finished qbnk at 81% mostly timed 44 random q's, was weak in OBGYN PEDS which i knew from shelf marks
- NBME 6 4 weeks out was a 252
- UWSA 3 weeks out was a 253
- NBME 4 2 weeks out was a 242 - was wondering why i had dropped I was actually increasing the frequency of my blocks to 3-4/day vs 2-3 earlier in studying
- 2 weeks of MTB highlighting and going through wrong answers/marked qs on UWORLD

EXAM day: felt crappy, really rushed in my 1st block then got into a rhythm later on but material was not what i expected. I had some uworld Gimmes but I generally felt that I didnt get my teeth in the way i felt with STep 1 and even UWSA. I kept going though feeling pretty fatigued by block 8.

Results: 238.. dropped 10 from step 1 but i'm still applying to Canada for FM and to the states for FM or IM and considering EM (which may be limited now due to my score) pretty bumbed out but in retrospect i should have seen it coming.
Advice: besides all the projections we talk about here on SDN i would say write the test ASAP after your last clerkship.. more time for me ended up costing me marks every day it seems... i would do UWORLD and UWSA again but not NBMEs they didnt reflect the content at all.. most of all WRITE EARLY! hope you have a happy holiday.