deadlines???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paramba

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just want to apologize off the bat if this is a dumb question but i am having some trouble finding as answer:

Does any one know when the deadline for filling out a residency application is, and by what time do we have to complete the boards? Will taking the step 1s in august be too late?

I am going to be starting med school in the fall but I am asking b/c my husband is an IMG and planning on practicing here, but i am just not sure when he needs to have his stuff in by. Thanks in advance for any help you can be!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there, usually you can first start turning in your Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) application beginning on September 1st. From that day on, you can pretty much submit whenever you want until the interview season is over (usually late January), but of course turning the app in as early as possible is a really good idea. In terms of taking Step 1, most programs will want Step 1 to make a decision about interviews, so taking it in August should be fine. Realize though that until he gets his scores in, he may not get too many interview offers. Usually it takes about 4 weeks to get the scores back, so even if he takes it in late August, he should have his scores by late Sept/early Oct which should be perfectly fine. Oh and in addition, realize that for IMGs, you are required to have your Step 2 CK and CS scores in by rank list submission deadline (this year it's February 21st), otherwise you will automatically be withdrawn from the Match. It takes approximately 3 months to get the scores back for CS, so it would probably be a good idea to take the CS by October at the latest. Hope this has been at least a bit helpful! Good luck to you and your hubby! :)

Hey there, usually you can first start turning in your Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) application beginning on September 1st. From that day on, you can pretty much submit whenever you want until the interview season is over (usually late January), but of course turning the app in as early as possible is a really good idea. In terms of taking Step 1, most programs will want Step 1 to make a decision about interviews, so taking it in August should be fine. Realize though that until he gets his scores in, he may not get too many interview offers. Usually it takes about 4 weeks to get the scores back, so even if he takes it in late August, he should have his scores by late Sept/early Oct which should be perfectly fine. Oh and in addition, realize that for IMGs, you are required to have your Step 2 CK and CS scores in by rank list submission deadline (this year it's February 21st), otherwise you will automatically be withdrawn from the Match. It takes approximately 3 months to get the scores back for CS, so it would probably be a good idea to take the CS by October at the latest. Hope this has been at least a bit helpful! Good luck to you and your hubby! :)

Thank you soo very much!! i cant being to tell you how much of a help all that info was! I really do appreciate it! thank you :D

Hi, if ur husband is an IMG, you need to complete all the steps till september, or october at the most. this holds very true for all IMGs especially if he needs visa also. alrite, officially, the deadline to be ecfmg certified is feb. 21, but, in the present day competition, an IMG is very unlikely to get more than 2-3 interviews(that too if he scores in 90s) if he applies only with step 1 score on Sep. 1, because thousands of IMGs apply every yr. on sep.1 with all scores, many even with step 3 score. this is what happened with my friend who applied with a single score n had a score of 92, got only 1 interview. if he has a green card, he may get slightly more, but, chances are bleak..

The picture is not that dark for good IMG. You will find FMGs with many interview invitations and they match very easy. The USMLE scores and green card are not the only factors in the application as almost all FMG think. The performance in and reputation of medical school, postgraduate clinical practice with or w/o certification (Master or PhD), clinical rotation and/or research in US not just observation ship, good LORs from US faculties you worked with (not just knowing you e.g. from your home country), publications and/or international meeting’s active participation, beside many others all are important in the application and securing position. A good percent of FMG has almost nothing from that except USMLE scores, may be from many trials with upper seventies or low eighties scores, others have only one step and struggling to sit for second step exam and so on. Despite that, most of them are complaining from discrimination against them.