Dealing with ADHD in Dental School - Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akinyi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:help:
I am looking for advice from someone who may be dealing with ADHD Predominantly Inattentive :yawn: (or ADHD or any kind) and how they have managed to cope with the fast pace and work load of dental school.

I have always found it really difficult to concentrate in class and find that I often had to re-teach my self concepts in my own time... and go at my own pace. In addition, I need to study a lot to do well -- a lot more than the average student. In spite of this, I was able to maintain a decent GPA (3.8) and get into a few dental schools.

If anyone out there has any experiences with ADD - inattentive, or has a friend that is dealing/dealt with it in medical school, please let me know.. I am just uncertain/worried that I will not be able to cope with the work load come this fall and want to make the right decision on whether I really should attend D school this fall.

(you can pm me if you feel as though you have any information that would help me)

:(
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi akinyi,

I do not think that you need to worry about it so much.
If you are the type of people who is easily get distracted in class, then you are better off in the library or somewhere quiet and review the notes by yourself (power points, handouts, etc.). I am a type of person who do not get much learning from listening to instructors who basically read off the powerpoint. I learn by reading and comprehend the materials. Thus, Majority of time I study the powerpoint (as well as reading textbooks) and thus avoid having to go to every single class lecture. Also, in heavy science classes such anatomy, physiology/biochem, histology, pathology, etc you really can make extra time for yourself to study by not attending the lectures.
As you will see in your DS1 year that the exams in these classes are heavy-hitter and there will be time where you are going to have 4 or 5 exams in the same week. Thus, in my opinions reading and understanding the materials are much more important than sitting in class. In dental school, time is GOLD.
However, there are non-science courses that you must attend (operatives, restoratives, dentures, etc.). These courses have their own lab hours. Personally, I pay close attention and give it my best effort when I'm in these labs. It is imperative that you stay grounded when you are in lab because not only that you are graded for your professionalism by the instructors but you also need to master the skills you learn during the lab hours so that you can perform well in countless number of lab practical exams and enhance your clinical skills as you move from the technique lab to the simulated lab.
I have a classmate who seems to suffer from the same medical condition and is just a very active talker. This individual can hardly focus on the task at hand for more than 15 minutes without bothering others or cracking jokes. And this person certainly paid the price (getting by with a passing grade 2.0). My advice is to do what works for you, do not fall into the temptation of what others are doing.

Hope this helps relieve some of your fears.

Hi akinyi,

If you are the type of people who is easily get distracted in class, then you are better off in the library or somewhere quiet and review the notes by yourself (power points, handouts, etc.). I am a type of person who do not get much learning from listening to instructors who basically read off the powerpoint. I learn by reading and comprehend the materials. Thus, Majority of time I study the powerpoint (as well as reading textbooks) and thus avoid having to go to every single class lecture. Also, in heavy science classes such anatomy, physiology/biochem, histology, pathology, etc you really can make extra time for yourself to study by not attending the lectures.
As you will see in your DS1 year that the exams in these classes are heavy-hitter and there will be time where you are going to have 4 or 5 exams in the same week. Thus, in my opinions reading and understanding the materials are much more important than sitting in class. In dental school, time is GOLD.
However, there are non-science courses that you must attend (operatives, restoratives, dentures, etc.). These courses have their own lab hours. Personally, I pay close attention and give it my best effort when I'm in these labs. It is imperative that you stay grounded when you are in lab because not only that you are graded for your professionalism by the instructors but you also need to master the skills you learn during the lab hours so that you can perform well in countless number of lab practical exams and enhance your clinical skills as you move from the technique lab to the simulated lab.
I have a classmate who seems to suffer from the same medical condition and is just a very active talker. This individual can hardly focus on the task at hand for more than 15 minutes without bothering others or cracking jokes. And this person certainly paid the price (getting by with a passing grade 2.0). My advice is to do what works for you, do not fall into the temptation of what others are doing.

Agreed.

Which year are you in?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
On this topic:

You can survive in dental school with ADHD. I have it and I'm doing just fine (above 3.0). Just take your meds and things will be good--a few other classmates have it too but some more controlled than others :). Also, make sure you have a good psychiatrist. You'll need one from time to time.

While dental school does move quickly, it's more than manageable. There's plenty of time to study if you plan ahead.

Last edited:
Hi akinyi,

Thank you so much for the advice and making me feel better about my situation. I have the same issue of not being able to learn very effectively from just sitting in lecture, especially when a professor simply reads from slides. I foresee myself adopting the strategies you suggested... Thanks again :)