Dealing with ADHD in Vetinary School - Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akinyi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:help:
I am looking for advice from someone who may be dealing with ADHD Predominantly Inattentive :yawn: (or ADHD or any kind) and how they have managed to cope with the fast pace and work load of veterinary school (I applied and was accepted into dental school but would like to see if there are others in this field who also suffer from the same issue)

I have always found it really difficult to concentrate in class and find that I often had to re-teach my self concepts in my own time... and go at my own pace. In addition, I need to study a lot to do well -- a lot more than the average student. In spite of this, I was able to maintain a decent GPA (3.8) and get into a few dental schools.
I now, however, am not too sure on whether the transition from undergrad to dental school would be too great to handle.

If anyone out there has any experiences with ADD - inattentive, or has a friend that is dealing/dealt with it in vet school, please let me know.. I am just uncertain/worried that I will not be able to cope with the work load come this fall and want to make the right decision on whether I really should attend D school this fall.

(you can pm me if you feel as you have any information that would help me)

:(Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools have ways to help you with learning difficulties. Your best bet would be to contact the schools to explain your problem and see what they do to help you stay on top of your studies.

I have combined type ADHD, and am on daily medication and also have exam accommodations arranged for me. I get 50% extra time on written exams, and a distraction free environment to take the exams in.

To get into dental school, I'm sure you had to have at least figured out to some extent what works for you in studying and in learning. I will say that (and I am sure this is true whether a person has ADHD or not, but for those of us who do, I believe that it is even more important) any flaws in your study habits or learning techniques will be under a magnifying glass and amplified, so it's important to get them under control early and have somewhere to go to discuss ways to do that.

If you have any other questions you can feel free to ask them here (I'm not really shy about discussing this here, as you can probably tell) or in PM if you need to. Good luck with your decision!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have ADD-inattentive type and I find the meds really help, but become less effective with time. From what I was reading recently, learning strategies for studying, etc... through cognitive behavioral therapy may actually work better long term than medication. You might want to find a cognitive behavior therapist that works specifically with people who have ADD since they would know the best strategies and methods, as compared to a general cognitive behavioral therapist.

I have ADHD; pretty severe. I would recommend (1)recording (audio) lectures from front row or find classmate that does (2)study in groups when convenient (3)get testing accomodations; diagnostic testing required often partially covered by health insurance (4)talk to your physician about medication - good luck!

I've worked at a vet for almost 10 years, and I don't even have my associates degree. Reason? I couldn't pass the math. For some reason (mid 20's crisis) Im
Seriously considering going for pre-veterinary school. My problem
Is, I also have ADHD. I do great in English, decent in science, terrible in math. Since being on medication, I've done much better in school since being prescribed.

Here's the problem- the classes I need for math, are algebra without a calculator, and advanced algebra. I CANNOT do math without a calculator, and college algebra is very fast paced, leaving me completely lost. I want to try and take this math class alone with medication (since it might help) but I always confuse numbers in my head. I'm thinking I might have discalclia. Any suggestions?

I love animals, I think this would a great profession for me, but I have a lot of reservations about it. Having ADHD gives me a vicious cycle of low to decent self esteem. I'm afraid of running into a class that I wouldn't be able to pass, and dropping out with 60k in student loans. What's your suggestion?

Have you ever thought about all the other animal related professions out there? I don't want to discourage you but maybe there is something else that you would be happy doing that wouldn't have you worry so much?

I don't have ADHD (I probably do, just they haven't bothered to diagnose it with the laundry list of other issues I have) but I do have major psychiatric, neurological, and renal issues that have made things difficult in school, but mostly in that things hit at once and I spent most of my first year in hospital. My school is very accommodating in giving me different deadlines if I need it, a separate exam room by myself so I don't get anxious, and I made sure to immediately get the help I needed when I got there. I have a psychiatrist who kicks butt and advocates for me strongly. If you need therapy or academic assistance to find the best way to be successful in professional school, get that now. It's much easier than when you get there and find out your mental health does not suit well with the way professional school functions and you are left out high and dry.

good luck