Dealing with Crazy passages on Exam day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Dazzle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So some Really difficult passages are bound to show up on test day. What strategies do you guys use to keep moving and not get short on time? How do you approach the difficult passages? How do you make an educated guess?

Members don't see this ad.

Keep your cool. Mcat is testing you on the basic things you've studied. Stick with the basics, and trust your studying.

Attack that ish

Skip the difficult passages and come back to them at the end! I did this on my real MCAT on BS because on the first run a passage baffled me, I decided to skip it and come back to it later, and it slowly began to make sense at the end when I wasn't worried about finishing everything else.

Skip the difficult passages and come back to them at the end! I did this on my real MCAT on BS because on the first run a passage baffled me, I decided to skip it and come back to it later, and it slowly began to make sense at the end when I wasn't worried about finishing everything else.

I second this. I took the 7/6 exam, where a lot of people were stumped on this really hard BS passage. At first, I read it and had no idea of what was going on... After 3 minutes of not understanding anything about it, I skipped it and returned to it after i was done with everything else. No, it didn't make it any easier to answer, but I didn't waste time on it and risk not finishing the test. In the end, I just used my best judgement and guessed on the questions I couldn't answer.

A big part is just taking tons of practice passages. You'll get a huge range of difficulty and will inevitably come across the crazy passages. After running into them so many times, you'll start to get used to maintaining your focus while tackling them. Another good tip would be to get sources with tougher passages than you'll face on test day (ex. BR).