1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Dealing with health issues, need advice

Discussion in 'Dental' started by mccu9110, Feb 23, 2007.

1. mccu9110

mccu9110 New Member

Pre-Dental
    Without getting into too much detail, I've been dealing with some health issues for about 2 years now while attending undergrad. I've seen multiple doctors and nobody can really give me answers. At first they thought it was Crohn's then Celiac's, ect. the list goes on. Anyways, I've done well enough to keep my grades up and get accepted to several schools, but I get really worried about going to dental school where my workload is doubled. I don't know if it was a great idea or not but I already talked to the school's dean that I got accepted to and explained my situation. He said I've got to figure out what's wrong and even suggested taking a year off. The problem is that I don't know who else to see that could even offer a different solution. And if this next year is anything like the previous 2 I'm not going to be feeling any better at the end of that year. As of right now I easily study four hours a day and have kept up. I realize that undergrad is easier, but my older brother who has been through dental school continues to assure me that I'd be ok and I can get through. Does anyone out there have any insight, know people in their class that have been able to manage with health problems, or have an opinion on whether or not they feel they could have gotten through dealing with health issues? Thanks for any replies in advance.

2. Todds2be@work

[email protected] Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental school is not that hard and depends more on what you are aiming for. In my case, I am not planning on specializing so it does not matter that if I get an A or C and getting a C in dental school is not hard at all. You basically have to do minimal work. I am in first year right now. Few of my classmates study everyday for about 6-7 hours, but I hardly study. I only study before exams. If you can study for about 4 hours a day and study for about 6 hours on the weekend, you would be good. 4 hours a day study time is on top of the 7-8 hours you spend at school everyday.

But, its manageable. I dont think you would have any problem if you can still keep your 4 hour study habit.
    Goodluck. You can message me if you need more help about study schedule and school schedule.
    K

3. johntara04

johntara04 Member
    5+ Year Member

You really don't have to study very hard to pass dental school (either a little every day or a good 2 day cram session before big tests). 4 hours a day would get you a pretty good gpa at a lot of dental schools.