Dealing with MCAT boredom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seldon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, how did everyone deal with boredom studying for the MCAT? I can't seem to focus because of how monotonous studying can be. I'm finding my self trailing off lately.......

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I found review so boring I would fall asleep in 5 minutes. Practice problem were at least more "fun". Hang in there :)

So, how did everyone deal with boredom studying for the MCAT? I can't seem to focus because of how monotonous studying can be. I'm finding my self trailing off lately.......
Convince yourself that the MCAT is arousing. Train your brain to get excited when you read passages.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Convince yourself that the MCAT is arousing. Train your brain to get excited when you read passages.
Reading passages is entertaining... its the review that's killing me

don't study nonstop - take enough breaks so you don't get burnt out.

don't study nonstop - take enough breaks so you don't get burnt out.
I think I'm taking too many breaks. Its going way too slow... I've been studying for 4 weeks now and I've only finished reviewing 2.5 kaplan text books.

Find someone else studying for the MCAT and study together. When you both get bored, take a sex break.

Find someone else studying for the MCAT and study together. When you both get bored, take a sex break.
I'm off campus doing research... I'm pry the only premed here.

Watch medical school parodies on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Take breaks playing League of Legends
Take so many breaks that you make it to Challanger
Get recruited by a team
Take your team to worlds
Have the most confusing activity section/PS known to man.

In all seriousness, as someone who is a few years away from MCAT studying, I wish you the best of luck.

Reactions: 2 users
Legit I have pretty study habits. I spread out my MCAT studying over 4 months, about 3 hrs a day dispersed around 6 hrs of draven.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Gamify it , track progress and check off when review is completed for a section. Track and measure your performance on sections(how many questions you got wrong, what type you got wrong, and why you got it wrong. )

Members don't see this ad :)
Gamify it , track progress and check off when review is completed for a section. Track and measure your performance on sections(how many questions you got wrong, what type you got wrong, and why you got it wrong. )
This is fantastic advice

Think about how this single exam is worth the same as your entire undergraduate academic record

Nothing motivates like fear/panic

Think about how this single exam is worth the same as your entire undergraduate academic record

Panic is like a proximity warning. Until the date is set and I get too close, I won't feel it.

What literally helps me keep focus is munching on candy / chocolate every now and then. I mix my studying of content and practice problems, and setting my day like each day is a full length, meaning that I take 1.5 hrs studying, 10 min breaks, another 1.5 hrs, half hour lunch and so on etc etc. it helps me build stamina.

Speaking of fear and panic, you heading to see the new 50 shades of grey movie?

Jk

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to thto BMW website. Spend 2 minutes there to get amped up to study.

I feel you OP. I have exactly 4 months to prep for the MCAT and I just can't bring myself to crack open a review book.

I watched a youtube video on MCAT/Med school study tips and I really liked how she typed up her own reviews and her advice on "active learning." Pretend that you're teaching a class. Try to find new ways to study. Get a dry erase board.

I always tell myself, "this is nothing compared to what's gonna be thrown my way during medical school. You getter suck it up!"

Cut it into shorter blocks of 45min.

If reviewing material gets monotonous, do practice problems and sections. Review the ones you get wrong and learn it that way.

Workout.