-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jademoon

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 9 users
It sounds like you may have PTSD. I’d definitely recommend seeing a therapist. It’s okay to be angry; you don’t have to feel guilty about not being positive.

Reactions: 7 users
I'm also fairly certain I have PTSD. I haven't gotten a chance to see a therapist because I'm financially dependent on my parents. Furthermore, the waitlist for my University counseling centers extends into July. I am on the waitlist but I'll only be able to see a therapist in the summer time at the earliest. Thank you for your kind words, it really makes a differences <3
Your county or city may have free Mental Health counseling.
Also since you have health insurance through your parents, you're not obligated to go through your parents to get to see a counselor. Although from my own experience, in an HMO they put mental health down at the very bottom of priorities,

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your county or city may have free Mental Health counseling.
Also since you have health insurance through your parents, you're not obligated to go through your parents to get to see a counselor. Although from my own experience, in an HMO they put mental health down at the very bottom of priorities,
Your HMO should give you access to a 24-hour mental health hotline

Reactions: 1 users
I cannot imagine how hard this is for you OP.

As much as I wish I or someone else on here could help, this is waaaaay beyond the scope of something that SDN can handle. You need professional mental health help.

The only semi-helpful thing I can add is that students, staff, and admin at your school might be mandatory reporters for sexual assault. So make sure you ask them if they are a mandatory reporter before you disclose the SA to them, assuming you don’t want a school investigation to get started. It’s fine of course if you want to report it youself or report it to someone so an investigation is started, but I have seen too many people “accidentally” report a SA that they wanted to keep private because they told a mandatory reporter.

Reactions: 3 users
How awful. I'm so sorry, @jademoon. I need you to know that this is very common and it's not your fault. *safe hugs if you want*

Reach out to your county's rape crisis center. They offer 100% free counseling and advocacy resources. Despite the word crisis in the name, they offer resources to people any length of time after the event.

Another place you could look at for resources and to get a sense of community with other survivor's is the website and forum Pandora's Aquarium. It's for survivors of sexual assault and abuse.

It will get better. You just have to give it time and do the work. You are strong and you can do this.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
I am so sorry you have had to go through this terrible nightmare. It sounds like you have come so far, but PTSD can wreak havoc on your life at any moment. Maybe your parents would agree to and even encourage counseling if you went to them to let them know you need help. You wouldn't have to share the experience with them. You could tell them that you are suffering from pretty extreme anxiety that is affecting your school work (not a lie). The counselor would never share any of your sessions, no matter who is paying or were the insurance is from.

Another thing I will add after further thought…if your grades start slipping below A’s again, don’t be afraid to withdraw and take a leave of absence. It’s incredibly hard and expensive to repair a GPA and unfortunately there is no exception on AMCAS to exclude grades that you received while recovering from trauma. If you want to remain in school and are doing well in classes, that is your choice. But it is not a sign of weakness to take time off and come back stronger. A leave of absence on your transcript is much better than a semester of F’s. One can be explained away and made up for with amazing grades after your return, the other is mathematically impossible to overcome after a certain point.

Reactions: 1 user
I‘m with with everyone on this forum that it’s a horrible thing you went through and I hope nothing like this happens to anyone. With that being said:

1. He should actually be in jail. I’m sure you looked up how to report sexual assault already. Pull the trigger and get closure.
2. Stop what you’re doing or planning to do and take a gap semester to focus on healing your mind and body. Med school won’t go anywhere while you rest!
3. I don’t know how you have LM score without an MCAT score, but your MCAT and clinical experience will be crucial for admissions. Again, no need to rush cuz med school won’t go anywhere.

I‘m with with everyone on this forum that it’s a horrible thing you went through and I hope nothing like this happens to anyone. With that being said:

1. He should actually be in jail. I’m sure you looked up how to report sexual assault already. Pull the trigger and get closure.
2. Stop what you’re doing or planning to do and take a gap semester to focus on healing your mind and body. Med school won’t go anywhere while you rest!
3. I don’t know how you have LM score without an MCAT score, but your MCAT and clinical experience will be crucial for admissions. Again, no need to rush cuz med school won’t go anywhere.
Eh, I don’t want to derail this thread away from OP’s specific case but you have a very warped sense of how sexual assault cases work if you think this is as simple as “he should be in jail” while also implying that OP or anyone wants to report SA by default. Every case is different so I would be careful giving binary advice like you have done here.

Reactions: 2 users
Eh, I don’t want to derail this thread away from OP’s specific case but you have a very warped sense of how sexual assault cases work if you think this is as simple as “he should be in jail” while also implying that OP or anyone wants to report SA by default. Every case is different so I would be careful giving binary advice like you have done here.
I understand what you’re saying, and I admit that I shouldve phrased it more carefully. He should be in jail. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.