Dealing with Test Anxiety

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cavity-110

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Something that really helped me on test day and for interviews is viewing anxiety as excitement. Both feelings cause similar physiological effects (my heart beats faster, I start sweating, and my alertness increases). The major difference between anxiety and excitement is that anxiety occurs when you feel afraid of some sort of threat whereas excitement occurs when you're looking forward to something. Interpreting all the feelings of anxiety as excitement helped me look forward to high-stakes events and I ended up really enjoying the thrill of it all. I think that this change in mindset helped me perform my best during my DAT and my interviews.

I hope this helps and best of luck to all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Thank you for sharing this.
My problem is I like the room to be very quiet and noises make me upset and lose focus!

Something that really helped me on test day and for interviews is viewing anxiety as excitement. Both feelings cause similar physiological effects (my heart beats faster, I start sweating, and my alertness increases). The major difference between anxiety and excitement is that anxiety occurs when you feel afraid of some sort of threat whereas excitement occurs when you're looking forward to something. Interpreting all the feelings of anxiety as excitement helped me look forward to high-stakes events and I ended up really enjoying the thrill of it all. I think that this change in mindset helped me perform my best during my DAT and my interviews.

I hope this helps and best of luck to all!
You know what, I have anxiety problems as well, in fact whenever tests come up I start getting extreme headaches my forehead gets warmed up and I lose my focus - please help how I can overcome this