Dean won't allow me to remediate anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Does your school allow students that failed anatomy by 3 points or less remediate?

• Yes, via summer school

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • Yes, via make up exam

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 7 21.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strawhat1491

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
fc

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why would the dean change the school policy for you?

Reactions: 9 users
Much to my dismay I failed anatomy by 3 points and found out that my school makes students that fail anatomy or molecular medicine repeat the year. I am trying to convince my dean this upcoming Monday to make an exception and let me remediate the course over the summer so I can continue forward.

I am looking for general advice. Also would appreciate it if students that have had to remediate before could share their experience? What schools allow students to remediate anatomy? What programs are out there? I've so far heard of Georgetown, Nebraska, and Drexel. Any information that would help me convince the dean not to waste my team and allow me to put in the work over the summer to make up for my deficiencies would be much appreciated.

I went to a systems based school, so anatomy was built into each system in the form of a single lab practical that you had to pass. If you failed you remediated the practical at a later date. If you failed an entire system you made it up over the summer. Blows my mind that a school would hold you back an entire year just for failing one course/practical, which begs the question are you leaving any other details out of this story?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My school's policy was:
--repeat exam for a "high fail": 65-69.49%, a week or two after the end of the year
--repeat "course" (but was basically DIY) for a "low fail": <65%, about three weeks after the end of the year

If you had more than one "low fail," things got complicated and I think you had to repeat the year.

I haven't had to think about this for a few years, so my info might be out of date or incomplete.

I feel like OP's story is likely missing something-- either they're leaving something out or received inaccurate info-- it wouldn't make a ton of sense to have somebody repeat the whole year for one course, unless there's something I really don't understand about that particular course. If, unfortunately, they are correct, I wouldn't expect a school (any school) to change the policy to accommodate one individual.

Why remediate when they could get another years tuition from you? $$$

Corrected: Schools cannot charge you more than 2x for any passed course (or rather they can't get financial aid for more than 2x). But they are allowed to charge for a failed course. My school had a policy of sending people who failed to Nebraska, but I know at least one student who failed by a point in the lab component but had passed overall, who they let do the drexel course. He seemed to enjoy it, and did much better with Drexels format. He stated he thought they were really trying to help him pass rather than weed him out.

These things suck. Nothing to do but get through it. It sucks when you were very close as well, but you have to admit to yourself that you didn't make the minimum standard and at the end of the day its on you. Repeating the course or remediation will make you a better student. Just make sure this is a one time experience. :)

Last edited:
Schools cannot charge you for any passed courses again (or rather, they cannot use federal funds for this). But they are allowed to charge for a failed course. My school had a policy of sending people who failed to Nebraska, but I know at least one student who failed by a point in the lab component but had passed overall, who they let do the drexel course.

These things suck. Nothing to do but get through it. It sucks when you were very close as well, but you have to admit to yourself that you didn't make the minimum standard and at the end of the day its on you. Repeating the course or remediation will make you a better student. Just make sure this is a one time experience. :)
Youre wrong. Schools can and do. My school charges the same amount for a repeat year as they do for those who aren't repeating.

I go to your school, they 100% do
Hmm interesting. Does the reason for remediation matter? I was told by someone who had to remediate they didn’t charge. But idk if they had to remediate bc they took a leave for health reasons or something or for academics.

Much to my dismay I failed anatomy by 3 points and found out that my school makes students that fail anatomy or molecular medicine repeat the year. I am trying to convince my dean this upcoming Monday to make an exception and let me remediate the course over the summer so I can continue forward.

I am looking for general advice. Also would appreciate it if students that have had to remediate before could share their experience? What schools allow students to remediate anatomy? What programs are out there? I've so far heard of Georgetown, Nebraska, and Drexel. Any information that would help me convince the dean not to waste my team and allow me to put in the work over the summer to make up for my deficiencies would be much appreciated.
Yes, my school allowed remediation over the summer, but I don't think that your dean is going to make a special exception just for you. I would humbly attempt to ask them for it but don't believe much will come of it.

Youre wrong. Schools can and do. My school charges the same amount for a repeat year as they do for those who aren't repeating.
Repeat Classes and Financial Aid Eligibility Policy | Financial Aid & Scholarships | University of Nevada, Las Vegas
This page discusses this more at length. So apparently you can receive federal aid one time for repeated classes, but not again if you passed.

A succinct summary:
Federal regulations limit the number of times a student may repeat a course and receive
financial aid for that course.

• A student may receive aid to repeat a previously passed course one additional time.
  • A student may receive aid when repeating a course that was previously failed, regardless of the number of times the course was attempted and failed.
  • If a student retakes a course that is not aid eligible, a recalculation of aid is done to exclude the credits for the repeated course. If a balance is due after the recalculation, the student must make payment in order to retain the course.
  • This rule applies whether or not the student received aid for earlier enrollments in the course.
For more information see the Financial Aid website or call (414) 297-MATC (6282)

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-15_18-17-58.png
    upload_2018-12-15_18-17-58.png
    201.9 KB · Views: 67
Mine let people do it w the PAs for free over the summer last year. Repeat an entire year for anatomy? Dam that sucks lol

My worst fear.

At my school, when you fail a course/lab component (<70%)... you re-take a cumulative exam for that course and need to pass (70%+).
I believe even if you fail that exam, you have another shot at the exam.

I think my school offers summer remediation, but very few people pass it.

I went to a systems based school, so anatomy was built into each system in the form of a single lab practical that you had to pass. If you failed you remediated the practical at a later date. If you failed an entire system you made it up over the summer. Blows my mind that a school would hold you back an entire year just for failing one course/practical, which begs the question are you leaving any other details out of this story?

My school does this for our main courses. but its pretty hard to fail (big curve, averages were in the mid to high 80s).

Status
Not open for further replies.