Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

deans/department heads in med school

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by anxietypeaker, Dec 4, 2005.

1. anxietypeaker

anxietypeaker Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

i was just wondering:

1) do department heads in medical school (ie chief of medicine/surgery/opthalm/etc) practice? or are they more swamped with admin?

2) same question for the chief of staff (which usually means the dean of the med school)...

thanks everyone

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ms1finally

ms1finally Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

4. ShyRem

ShyRem I need more coffee.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    no, it's not ms1. The question was "do department heads practice" taking out the parenthetical information. Valid verb there; the 'medicine' after practice is implied.

To the OP: I have no idea. Sorry.

5. fantasty

Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I cannot say with certainty, but I know folks who had several weeks with our dept of IM interim head, and I had seen his name on his subspecialty consult service schedule. I think it probably depends on the dept and the institution, but my guess is that they might have some minimal clinical responsibility. In academics, everything is "percent time" anyhow. You've got to split your time between patient care, administrative responsibilities, and maybe even research (our cardiology, neurology, etc dept heads do have active labs, so they must spend some of their time on that). My understanding is that teaching is almost considered "pro bono".

Deans, on the other hand, I'm guessing have most if not all of their time in admin (and maybe some teaching).

I'll admit that I may be under-informed on this, though.

6. Iwy Em Hotep

Iwy Em Hotep The Welcomer
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Department heads usually practice or give lectures. The dean is probably too busy to practice, but may occasionally give lectures.

7. Pollicis

Pollicis Member
    5+ Year Member

Our dean of medicine said he hasn't seen a patient in over 5 years, and works mostly as an administrator, but he lectures from time to time.

8. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It depends on the place. Department heads usually practice, but certainly have a lot of control and to the extent they keep their hands in the clinical world as opposed to administration is often more a choice than an obligation. There are certainly schools where the lesser deans are also clinicians, but the head of the school is usually exclusively administrative and has lots of fundraising and lecturing roles.

9. bigdan

bigdan SDN Donor
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I agree with Law2Doc - it's likely dependent on where you're at.

At Stony Brook, our outgoing Dean of the School of Medicine still kept a 1 day/week to see patients; the Dean of Admissions still treats also (both are pulmonologists). All of the specialty Chairs that I know of still practice.

dc

10. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Hi there,
    A department head may lecture, practice and do the administrative duties of running a department.

The chief of staff is NOT usually the Dean of the medical school. The chief of staff is the administrative chief of the clinical departments in a hospital and handles medical staff matters in the hospital only. The hospital is generally affiliated with but not under the control of the affiliated medical school. Even if the hospital is a University Hospital, they are rarely run by the University.

The Dean of the medical school is usually an academic physician who may or may not practice medicine/research. The Dean of a medical school is usually involved in university/school matters and is clearly the main player of the academic medical but not clinical medical matters.

In the university health system, the Dean of the Medical school generally outranks any chief of staff which may be as many as there are clinical affiliates of medical schools.

njbmd :)

11. azzarah

azzarah sleepy!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Most dept heads do both. at least at my school.