Deans gone wild...USC edition

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by SouthernSurgeon, Jul 17, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. SouthernSurgeon

SouthernSurgeon Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Physician
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. TooMuchResearch

TooMuchResearch i'm goin' to Kathmandu... Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Townsville, USA
    Yeah, that was quite the read.

Tots, CherryRedDracul and Mr Giggles like this.
  4. Benjoe11

Benjoe11

Sep 15, 2015
    This entire thing blew my freaking mind. How does one go from top of his class at Harvard, to one of the best ophthalmologists in the world, to medical school dean, to basically a fraternity pledge. Plus, SO many pictures. It sounds like he wasn't even trying to be discreet.

5. hurtem&healem

hurtem&healem 2+ Year Member

He's a little past the age for a middle crisis, but my guess is that it's similar motivation. A lifetime of high stress positions, extreme focus on his goals. Then at 60 he realized he never had any fun and put that same extreme mentality into partying.

6. Mad Jack

Mad Jack Critically Caring Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

Jul 27, 2013
    4th Dimension
    A question like that assumes that there's some barrier separating the elite from the rest of society, when the truth is we're all just human and it's easy for someone to give in to the part of themselves that just wants to live it up, particularly if they have the means. I guess that's the real lesson to take away from this- always remember that you're probably just one bad decision away from snowballing your way into a mess like this. Guy probably realized his clock was winding down and he hadn't had enough fun in his life, or that he missed his college days, or some other BS and decided he'd end his life on one last hurrah. I fear for his patients, given that he's probably coming down from something on most OR days. If I was a medmal lawyer, I'd be hunting for bad outcomes on the part of his patients like a ****ing hawk right now, there's a fortune to be made.

7. SurfingDoctor

SurfingDoctor "Hooray, I'm useful" 10+ Year Member

8. dragoon

dragoon

Sep 23, 2016
    MDApps:
    How is he still able to keep working?

9. Toutie

Toutie 2+ Year Member

Apr 12, 2015
    Gotta love all things U$C...the sh*t starts with the athletic dept and runs straight through to the medical school dean. :laugh:

10. EleanorAbernathyMD

EleanorAbernathyMD 2+ Year Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Lol at everyone on here saying, "He didn't have enough fun in his youth." But this is METH we are talking about, not a couple joints. This dude is insane and there are more smoking guns in that story than at an NRA convention. I hope they nail his a$$.

11. attitudeofgratitude

attitudeofgratitude

Jan 9, 2016
    How long did he keep that going?

He resigned in March 2016

The woman said they met while she was a hooker in early 2015 (although she said they were together a year and a half total) and that it seemed like he was no stranger to drugs...

There was no indication anything was wrong right? I mean, I hope everyone involved gets help but it's impressive he was able to do his job through all this.

Meibomian SxN and breachnkd like this.
  12. cellsaver

cellsaver

Dec 26, 2016
    He had plenty of fun in Miami...it is hard not to when youre a highly paid surgeon at the privately run University of Miami, and Director of the world famous Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, while friends with the Governor of Florida and Donna Shalala, then President of UM.

He had so much fun in Miami they paid him to leave. Miami Herald:

Brockman alleged that Puliafito threw a “tantrum” over an inoperable piece of medical equipment, grabbed him by the collar of his lab coat and choked him.

Puliafito denied wrongdoing, but during the case it emerged that UM had investigated separate complaints of sexual harassment against Puliafito, according to the Times’ report.

Miami Herald

A surgeon throwing a tantrum over an inoperable instrument? He must have run out of ketamine that day.

Surgical technique is one thing. Character? You either have it or you don't with or without the Gore Tex gown.

13. NontradCA

NontradCA American Hero 2+ Year Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Trump Tower
    kek School of Medicine

14. goldenmd

goldenmd

Jul 6, 2017
    I'm an incoming first year at Keck and my parents were pretty disappointed when they read about this. Do you think it will have any effect on my education?

15. SouthernSurgeon

SouthernSurgeon Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Physician
    No

aim-agm, prexies, PharmD500 and 11 others like this.
  16. goldenmd

goldenmd

Jul 6, 2017
    Sweet. Didn't think so but I had to calm the freaked out padres.

17. Mad Jack

Jul 27, 2013
    4th Dimension
    Yeah. It'll improve it.

18. Mad Jack

Jul 27, 2013
    4th Dimension
    More likely withdrawing from cocaaaaaaaine

Gurby and Crayola227 like this.
  19. hurtem&healem

[​IMG]

20. masaraksh

masaraksh 5+ Year Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Northeast
    Lets not call ophthalmologists surgeons, plz

3member, jcorpsmanMD and bobjonesbob like this.
  21. JP2740

JP2740 7+ Year Member

Nov 6, 2009
    This guy is ****ing awesome. Can I be this cool as a GI?

22. Mad Jack

Jul 27, 2013
    4th Dimension
    [​IMG]
    Probably his attitude about this entire situation.

23. Logic Inc

Logic Inc

Jul 15, 2017
    Wolf of Wall Street med school edition

24. Henry101

Henry101 2+ Year Member

Jul 15, 2014
    I think this started out as a small, quick fling but snowballed out of control, culminating with her admission into the ED. He probably stopped seeing her shortly after that, especially after her friend used his address in a police interview. She probably got upset that her piggy bank dried up and went to the media.

I'm not saying his actions are justifiable. I am just saying that there is probably another side to this story that doesn't fit the LAT narrative/agenda.

25. Henry101

Henry101 2+ Year Member

Jul 15, 2014
    This also worries me if my dirty past may one day come back to haunt me.

Meibomian SxN and Entadus like this.
  26. CherryRedDracul

CherryRedDracul 2 Chainz Muscular Dystrophy 2+ Year Member

Oct 12, 2012
    North America
    Physician
    Wild story. But he certainly isn't the only physician out there partying hard. There are many more, but they haven't been caught or haven't OD'd yet.

Drug abuse is a huge issue in this country, and physicians are no exception to that problem. I remember this story from a few years back: L.I. doctor died of severe use of booze, cocaine

27. Mad Jack

Jul 27, 2013
    4th Dimension
    Married woman going out to the club and getting loaded with her loaded male producer friend? Sounds like she had more than just a drug problem, her whole life was likely a mess. And what terrible people those two were, just leaving her for dead rather than performing CPR consistently until the ambulance arrived. I get the drug dealer, but the producer?

Meibomian SxN likes this.
  28. WingedOx

WingedOx Seriously, Bro? 5+ Year Member

Optho attracts the shadiest people...

Crayola227 likes this.
  29. JP2740

JP2740 7+ Year Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Who knows? Not everyone knows to do that. I didn't before med school

30. JP2740

JP2740 7+ Year Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Maybe when he strangled and beat the **** out of the optometrist? Is that typical behavior for ophthalmogists?

Mad Jack likes this.
  31. Toutie

Toutie 2+ Year Member

Apr 12, 2015
    And then there was this guy in Vegas a couple years ago. Las Vegas doc hosted drug-fueled swingers sex parties: cops

Entadus and Mad Jack like this.
  32. Mad Jack

Jul 27, 2013
    4th Dimension
  33. TRPMinus

TRPMinus

Apr 27, 2016
    It's amazing that people of this caliber are the ones who get to hold med school applicants to such lofty standards. And you know that for every one caught, there are probably several more out there.

OrthoTraumaMD likes this.
  34. hurtem&healem

Is this supposed to be a pun of some sort?

35. Mad Jack

Jul 27, 2013
    4th Dimension
    But imagine how much more often this would happen if standards were lower.

jcorpsmanMD, Crayola227 and TRPMinus like this.
  36. WingedOx

WingedOx Seriously, Bro? 5+ Year Member

No, just an observation of having interacted with many ophthalmologists over the years.

/to clarify since not everyone here knows I'm an optho's kid. PapaOx has had some seriously personality disordered colleagues over the years. Plus there's the history of guys like Salomon Melgen, John Tanton*, this weirdo...

*plus his protege Dave

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Winged Scapula and Crayola227 like this.
  37. mcworbust

mcworbust 5+ Year Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Nerd room purgatory
    I know I'm supposed to react to this in a certain way, but all I can think of is how damn impressive this guy is lol

38. AcademicNeurosurgery

AcademicNeurosurgery

Apr 1, 2017
    Or the neurosurgeon doing lines on the way to the OR: Texas neurosurgeon nicknamed ‘Dr. Death’ found guilty of maiming woman during surgery

I am really not shocked by this at all, just makes me contemplate so many things. One thing is that power and corruption always go hand-in-hand. It is very difficult to find any prominent figure (politician, business executive, tech guru, attorney, etc) that hasn't been involved in some sort of scandal or fraud at some point. In some cases, it seems the scandal/fraud is what gets the individual to such prominence. Prime example is a physician who entered the medical insurance industry, made a fortune fraudulently, became engulfed in a fraud lawsuit, settled out of court, and barely made a dent in his/her net worth. In other cases, such as this one, you have someone who is a true pioneer in his craft. His professional success gets him to prominence, rules start to not apply, and life becomes a slippery slope.

What is shocking to me is how immune prominent people are to scandals. I imagine this guy will be just fine.

jcorpsmanMD, anbuitachi and TRPMinus like this.
  39. eteshoe

eteshoe Time Bender

Jan 4, 2016
    Rhea, Saturn
    If anyone saw the tv series Rush, it's like a real life version of it lol

40. raiderette

raiderette 2+ Year Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Child in vulnerable position gets with guy that us stranger to drugs and uses her for sex in exchange for drugs and sex. Attempts sobriety only to be brought back into the life you serve at his pleasure. He dumped her when convenient and still is s practicing physician on the faculty.

41. JP2740

JP2740 7+ Year Member

Nov 6, 2009
    She was a child? I missed that

42. Crayola227

Crayola227 Problem Pilot 2+ Year Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Vader's Bacta Tank
    I think the point is that there are people that are generally ****shows in life almost out of the gate, and people that seemingly keep it extremely together, relative to that

it's sad when drugs take anyone down, but it does really bother me when it's people who "should have known better" by virtue of training or a pattern of responsible behavior heretofore

most of the people in my town living like this didn't graduate high school, and I'm not surprised when they think they should "lick the tip" (of their needle) and end up with endocarditis [google this if you don't understand], tho that's sad too

I once saw a healthcare provider (doctor) with a smack habit leftover from 'Nam. 20 years clean and then relapsed. Had to flay most of the flesh off his arm from nec fash. That stayed with me.

Ultimately you're right, though. We all have that rat brain that is so easily trained to hit the button, receive the hit

43. raiderette

raiderette 2+ Year Member

Feb 2, 2014
    19 when she met him and already a prostitute. Sounds like a child to me, but I volunteer to work with sex trafficking victims so I am used to seeing the worst if they are in the industry at that age.

44. username456789

username456789 7+ Year Member

May 24, 2009
    19 is an adult.

45. Crayola227

Crayola227 Problem Pilot 2+ Year Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Vader's Bacta Tank
    everyone misses how it brings up her 17 year old brother, 17 at the time, hung out with him and smoked meth with him

he even Rx'd an inhaler for the kid's (yes, 17 is a minor) burnt up lungs from all the pot and meth smoke

or so says the article linked that I read

46. anbuitachi

anbuitachi ASA Member 7+ Year Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Utah
    I love the line that says med students think he's a god. What a true surgeon

47. username456789

username456789 7+ Year Member

May 24, 2009
    Why do you think anyone missed that? Just because it has not been discussed does not mean it somehow went unnoticed.

48. Benjoe11

Benjoe11

Sep 15, 2015

Well said! I guess deans, and high up docs like that just seem so untouchable. Easy to forget they're human. Still a wild story.

49. Mad Jack

Jul 27, 2013
    4th Dimension
    I had an ex that went that way for a while. See, the girl I was engaged to a few years ago- she was the one of the pair with the plans for medical school. After our breakup, she went from a promising premed in the neuroscience program at the best pubic university in my state to a strung out addict that failed out of school, and no joke, called me while I was at work one day telling me she'd licked a needle before an injection and now she had a huge red bump on her arm and I was the only person she could think to call about it. After a nice I&D at the ER and some time to think about her life choices, she got her life back on track and is now a nurse with a promising career from what mutual friends have told me (I don't talk with her anymore, I wish her all the best but want nothing to do with her). But she's the kind of person I imagine could easily relapse ten, twenty years down the line when she settles down and feels like there is no thrill in her life, and longs for her days of drug-fueled partying and sex.

The pimp dentist of Chicago is such a case- an ex military guy that used to have some excitement in his life that was just dying for anything that would make him feel alive again once he settled down and things got boring. To anyone that has even the slightest bit of thrill seeker within them, a stable job like medicine can lead to development of dangerous habits. Some might go skydiving, others spelunking or cave diving. But there's always going to be that guy that parties too hard and one night just thinks **** it, and tries some crack or heroin on a whim, leading them down a dark and dangerous road. Most of us have things together enough to never think of such a thing, but there's always a few...

50. Ahah! I've figured you out! You're doing psychiatry to work with addiction stemming from a previous relationship!

51. Mad Jack

Jul 27, 2013
    4th Dimension
    Oh god no, addiction medicine is the worst, I don't have the kind of patience to deal with that :laugh:

But my going to medical school at all was originally a sort of quest for revenge in a way (we split due to cheating on her part, which really left me 11/10 furious at the time), as living well is the best revenge. That anger was like a furnace that spat out 4.0 semesters and a 35 MCAT like it was nothing. Obviously it wasn't my only motivation (I truly enjoy medicine, it's basically the only field in which I feel at home), but as a side motivation, it was certainly rewarding at the time.

wutwutwut, aim-agm, Scrubs101 and 9 others like this.