• A new admissions hurdle is becoming more common: the CASPer test. Learn more about it at a free webinar hosted by SDN and PrepMatch on May 6th. Register now!
D

Deleted member 17408

I am a fourth year medical student and have still not decided on my choice of residency so I will be applying to residencies in different specialties. These include radiology, family medicine and pathology (don't laugh:( ). I was wondering since I can only send out 1 dean's letter to any and all programs, can i make that dean's letter generic (not put my reasons for going into a specialty since I'm applying to multiple specialties). My deans' letter writer was saying that I should put my reasons for going into my 1 and only specialty in my deans' letter or else it will look weird if I don't do this.

Thanks in advance for replies.

Pilot Doc

SDN Angel
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Well, at UVa, all the dean's letters are generic. (See here.) We match OK (See here.) My only thought is that if a program knows your school's letters are usually not generic, they may draw a conclusion from it.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.