Dean's List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neurotic3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've only made the Dean's List 4/6 times. How will adcoms react to this?

Members don't see this ad.

They will burn you with fire.

Seriously

Edit:
In an effort to actually contribute I will agree with the dude below me. Won't make a lick of difference.

It's a pretty minuscule part of your application. It probably won't get much of a reaction in and of itself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dean's List is a bunch of bull****, really.

At my school, you could be taking 14 credits of really hard classes, get a 4.0 and not get deans list because you need 15 credits to qualify.

Someone else can take 15 credits of really easy classes, get a 3.5 and get it...

What does the Dean's list say that your GPA doesn't? Unless there's extreme grade deflation, not much.

To summarize the above: no one gives a tinker's toot about the Dean's List.

I threw it in my combined "Honors and Awards" entry just for giggles :laugh:

Yep. +1. Just throw it in the one or two slots for all your Awards and Honors. Pretty sure their eyes will glaze over it though. Just about everyone with a 3.5+ (read: thousands of applicants) will have it. Probably does nothing to separate you from the pack. Focus elsewhere.

You're DONE OP! Apply carib.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep. +1. Just throw it in the one or two slots for all your Awards and Honors. Pretty sure their eyes will glaze over it though. Just about everyone with a 3.5+ (read: thousands of applicants) will have it. Probably does nothing to separate you from the pack. Focus elsewhere.

Agree that you might as well list it. I realize that quality is more important than quantity when listing things on AMCAS, but if anything it affirms your high GPA and at the very least removes what would otherwise be an empty space :p.

When everybody else lists it, you're kind of expected to, so even if its not meaningful you should list it under a combined experience entry like Ismet said.

One of the schools I interviewed at showed me their point system and where I stood. I hadn't listed Dean's List because I had a 3.9 GPA and it was already on my transcripts. It felt weird and a bit obnoxious to list it, so I didn't. Apparentlly I had I lost a "point" because of it. Many other schools use some type of point system...who knows how many other points I was docked because I ommitted Dean's List.

List everything relevant on the AMCAS app...you never know how it will play into your evaluation.

One of the schools I interviewed at showed me their point system and where I stood. I hadn't listed Dean's List because I had a 3.9 GPA and it was already on my transcripts. It felt weird and a bit obnoxious to list it, so I didn't. Apparentlly I had I lost a "point" because of it. Many other schools use some type of point system...who knows how many other points I was docked because I ommitted Dean's List.

List everything relevant on the AMCAS app...you never know how it will play into your evaluation.

:eek: That's interesting.

:eek: Thanks for the insight. I also didn't list the dean's list because I thought it was redundant with a high GPA.....

Do you guys still list Dean's List if you've graduated and have more significant honors for example magna cum laude or phi beta kappa etc.?

Do you guys still list Dean's List if you've graduated and have more significant honors for example magna cum laude or phi beta kappa etc.?

I would. :shrug: It's just an extra line in your Honors and Awards entry (use the description to list them). Like an above poster said, apparently having Dean's List on the app counts as something in the school's point system, so might as well throw "Dean's List - 4 semesters" or something on there along with "Graduated magna cum laude" and others.

Wow....that's interesting to know. :scared:

I'll probably do what Ismet did then and list it under a combined category. :D

My transcript lists 'magna cum laude' but it doesn't list dean's/president's list, so I only mentioned the latter.