SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Dear Boston U. students--how do you pay for it?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Capitan, May 13, 2002.

1. Capitan

Capitan Member 7+ Year Member

Mar 10, 2002
    So, I just got my financial aid estimate the other day for Boston U. and it's very meager for the very, very expensive cost of attending. They show in the "estimated budget" that the tuition might increase up to $42000 for 2005-6 when I would be a senior, up from the 36500 that it is now. They offered less than $7000 of institutional aid (mostly in loans) in addition to Federal Aid. So, how are you guys paying for it, especially if you don't have parents or family helping out? Thanks. Any advice would be appreciated.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Loans, loans, and more loans. There are more scholarships available once you get past the first year; however, the vast majority of the aid will come in the form of loans. If you borrow $200,000 over 4 years, your payment will be about $2700 a month or so for 10 years. It sounds like a lot, but you'll be able to pay it off once you start practicing.

It's also worth thinking about National Health Service Corps (even for a couple of years of funding)...

good luck!
  4. andy toth

andy toth Member 7+ Year Member

Feb 19, 2002
    i used to work in the financial aid office at bu as an undergrad. oh my god 42K.

options: go to the financial aid office physically and submit a request for more funds (or talk to someone). it's cool to do this in the summer, but hurry for fall. think of reasons as to why you should be reevaluated, etc. discuss all grant/loan internal-BU/external-ORG funding options with someone in a cube. if nothing sufficies; get a 35K corporate loan on your way out. i know it's gross.