Dear resident colleagues: Ask "why?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
oh, okay...my argument is simply that regional for cs is preferrable over general, i dont advocate flogging patients unnecessarily, but im also not overly quick to go to general as fallback for failed regional. some of my colleagues are and thats their prerogative.

OK, so let's say you have an obese pt with a good airway and an epidural in place. You dose the epidural with 20cc of your favorite concoction and nothing happens. What next? Are you going to pull it and replace it? Pull it and do a spinal? Go to GETA?

Your story is getting mixed here. First you stated you would prefer to go a little overboard with the regional than to do a general because it is best for the pt. Now you are saying that you won't easily go to general if you have a failed regional technique. If you were sitting in front of me on the oral boards I'd have a hay day with this one. But this isn't the case. I'm just trying to get you to tell me why you think regional is so superior to general for c/s's.

Don't miss understand me, I think you are a smart anesthesiologist. I'm not challenging you. I'm just trying get you to tell me why regional is so much better that it's worth going overboard in a c/s.

Members don't see this ad.