dear tweetiebird

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Wall$treet

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey i read ur post about u being bummed and i just watned to say i got my 4th rejection today! im an august mcater too!! so they are piling up quickly. I konw it sucks, the worst part is that 3 or the 4 were from my last pics, meaning i thought they wree the schools i had the best shot at! so it REALLY blew all hopes, so im planning on reapplying, taking mcat gain blah blah, will be my 3rd mcat.. So SEEE life probably sucks worse for me or just as bad! so dont feel too badly!

Members don't see this ad.

hi wallstreet,
thanks for the cheering! I know it's tough to get rejections....I have been playing mindless computer games on my laptop to keep my mind off of it. Hope you hear good news soon.

Hey Tweetie...

How many schools did you apply to? You probably still have lots of schools to hear from..and it's onl November!! I'm rooting for you.

Alicia

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks alicia.

34 schools total
21 secondaries.

9 rejections till today. Funny how numbers mean so much, eh?

Hey guys....

I figured I'd join in on the parade. I've been applying to med school for the past 4 years, and just last year did I get my first interview. It was so exciting, but after feeling very positively about my interview, I was sent the good old rejection letter. It really upset me for a while, cause I am average in the marks and MCAT category and really felt as though the interview would unveil my conviction and innate characteristics. I've now gotten over it though, and am looking forward to this years process.

I swear my collection of rejection letters is massive right now. I keep my letters, however, cause it motivates me to continuously improve myself and persevere. Success to me is not giving up-rather than the traditional getting what you want. Over the past 3 years I have improved my marks significantly, gotten my Masters, and am currently a Strategic Projects Manager at an internationally known LTC facility. I am enjoying what I am doing currently, and it pays the bills, but I know meds is still my passion. As such, I am going through this completely tenuous and arduous process yet again in hope that I will get in somewhere this year. This is my first time looking to the states as I am from Canada. After getting initial rejections from USC and Wayne State (???), I've managed to secure an interview at Uconn, with hopefully 9 more to come. Anyway, all I'm saying is that don't let it get you down. Keep trying, and it'll happen. Hopefully this is the year for all of us.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

~JZ

Originally posted by GuesswhozBizzak
Hey guys....

I figured I'd join in on the parade. I've been applying to med school for the past 4 years, and just last year did I get my first interview. It was so exciting, but after feeling very positively about my interview, I was sent the good old rejection letter. It really upset me for a while, cause I am average in the marks and MCAT category and really felt as though the interview would unveil my conviction and innate characteristics. I've now gotten over it though, and am looking forward to this years process.

I swear my collection of rejection letters is massive right now. I keep my letters, however, cause it motivates me to continuously improve myself and persevere. Success to me is not giving up-rather than the traditional getting what you want. Over the past 3 years I have improved my marks significantly, gotten my Masters, and am currently a Strategic Projects Manager at an internationally known LTC facility. I am enjoying what I am doing currently, and it pays the bills, but I know meds is still my passion. As such, I am going through this completely tenuous and arduous process yet again in hope that I will get in somewhere this year. This is my first time looking to the states as I am from Canada. After getting initial rejections from USC and Wayne State (???), I've managed to secure an interview at Uconn, with hopefully 9 more to come. Anyway, all I'm saying is that don't let it get you down. Keep trying, and it'll happen. Hopefully this is the year for all of us.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

~JZ

Let me hear an AMEN!!! You are an inspiration to everybody. Four years is a long time and I would bet that Ad Coms will see your determination and drive. This is awesome!! Keep up the good work.

PS: you know, I am realizing myself that not getting in is not so bad as i may think. It may just give me the time to do things that I never got to do as an undergrad. Life is full of opportunities, and as somebody said in another thread, "Med school will is not going anywhere."

Best scenario: getting onto med school!!
Worst scenario: not getting in this time, but doing something awesome that also has the potential to fulfill me. :clap:

All you need is one acceptance! Who cares about the rejects?

My stats: approx 22 schools applied to (including 3 DO, 19 allopathic), 8 interviews, 3 acceptances, 5 wait listed. Nice, huh? Realize that this means I GOT 14 REJECTIONS FROM PROGRAMS WHO CASHED MY CHECKS FOR SECONDARY APPLICATIONS AND THEN DID NOT INTERVIEW ME. But now I am in the middle of residency... it only takes one, baby.

When you get your acceptance, do what my friends and I did: buy a $100 shredder from an office supply store and throw a party. We made margaritas, ate pizza, and about 10 large garbage bags of confetti made from shredded rejection letters and secondaries. It took us all night (those cheap shredders go slow) , but it was a blast.

Ana, that's hilarious, and I hope you are enjoying your residency. The patient contact/relationship building part of medicine is totally what attracts me, and I am totally looking forward to the privilege and opportunity of being in the clinical setting.

Tweetie...you are so right about being able to take your blinders off for a while, and really getting to experience some cool things. Getting into med school is only the beginning, not the end of our journey. What is important is that we enjoy every step of it. After my first two years of rejections, I had the opportunity to travel and experience different cultures and landscapes. It was amazing!! I also got to develop skills that I did not have the opportunity to in my rigorous undergrad science program. My mind has been opened completely to the health care system in it's entirety, and I have been able to realize my niche. I not only wish to practice clinical medicine now, but want to combine my administrative knowledge to this so that I can advocate for the patient not only in the examining room or wherever, but also at the Administrative table. That's where changes occur.

Life is a little stressful right now cause I am desperately seeking certainty as to where I may be next year. It's really hard on me too, cause I'm doing the long distance relationship thing and currently do not have the flexibility to be with my girlfriend as much as I would like. Ideally I would love to be at a school close to her next year.

~JZ

Best of luck JZ. :) As a fellow Canadian I've definitely been there (though I'd have preferred rejection to being waitlisted!) and know how rough it is. I'd have given anything for a crystal ball to first tell me that I *would* be in med school, and then where. The whole process is an exercise in patience, but just remember it *will* end eventually and very likely with good news. After that, the worse is most definitely over! :D

tweetie et al,

we gotta hang in there..got 5th rejection yesterday.. :-/

I applied two years ago, only interviewed at my state school (who interviewed everybody that year), and got rejected. I was crushed. But like many of us SDNers, I kept at it, began a masters, continued the research and ECs, and reapplied......

....and it seemed like the same old story...bunch of rejections. First the Standfords and Mayos, then the Dartmouths. But then I got the itnerviews....and today I got accepted! So hang in there everybody. It may seem horrible now, but if you keep trying you will get in. It may not be to your top choice, and it may not be this year, but you will eventually get accepted.

4 rejections for me.

"Did you know that cheap shredders are only 20 or 30 dollars? Sounds like the med schools won that battle too."

LOL, yeah but they don't do cross cut (or come with their own handy-dandy, standard-grey-issue-from-recycled-plastics receiver!

OK, it wasn't that cheap (I passed over the low end models) .... I still have and use it 7 years later, dude, what a bargain:laugh: ! Other than shredding old receipts/documents, it has most recently it turned 4 years of med school notes and residency information junk into confetti.