Debating Whether or Not to Apply This Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

relentless11

Going broke and loving it
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the golden rule is, apply when you are ready, but i'm still edging towards just going for it anyways. Not sure if any of you guys have read my previous posts but the way things are going, i'll have a 2.7-2.8 by June 2004, with an MCAT of 35Q.

My extracurriculars are great, including but not limited to clinical experience. They vary from being an scuba rescue diver to a well published research (15 publications) for the medical school i work at.

I have had to support myself, and my family for the past 5 or so years, so that has hindered my undergraduate academic career. For the past year though, i have started my own version of a post-bacc program, and i have maintained a GPA of 3.5-4.0. With that above, do you guys think i should apply? I will definately put in my personal statement about my past and present challenges to explain whats up with my grades.

Pretty much my main question is: Should i just try? (i will plan to apply early)

Other questions:

1) How important is ones personal statement compared to GPA/MCAT scores. (ie: if the statement is compelling enough, do they at least give the person a benefit of a doubt and send them a secondary?)

2) How does it look to apply to medical schools more than once? I have heard two stories to this.

a) Med schools like this, because it shows you are have determination.

b) Med schools hate this, because they wonder why you're doing it again.

Anyway, for now, i'm focusing on improving my grades as time progresses. I'm taking upper division classes, in various fields including engineering, and more chemistry. Continuing my research for the 4th year now, and TAing at the university, in addition to worknig to support myself. I'm considering taking an EMT course since i've always wanted to ride in an ambulance (not as a passenger)....and get first hand knowledge out in the field.

Lastly, kinda off topic...trying to support myself, and feeling kinda patriotic after 9-11, i got myself a job with the US Army. I help them develop things and i've written a 275 page manual for them as well. I'm wondering, how would the med schools see this as? I mean i know in this time of war, the military can have a good meaning as well as bad depending on the person. I'm personally supportive of the military...but everyone has their own opinion. I was even considering getting a letter of recommendation from the Army major who is my boss. Thoughts?

As always, thanks for all the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,Perhaps if you can show the adcoms an uphill GPA tread, that might help you. From your post, am I understanding you that even with the 3.5 recently you still have a 2.7 total GPA? What is our science GPA?

Your MCAT is great and will help you a whole bunch. The EC's are alos fantastic, so those will save you also. IF you find an adcom willing to over-look the gpa you could get admitted. But a number of school do have a GPA cut-off to get their secondaries.

I would say the only way you can determine if you should apply is to actually go through with it. Apply, if you get accepted, great, your done, if not you could meet with the dean of admissions and ask them why you were turned down and what you could do to improve your chances. Schools don't care about how many times you apply to med school. They don't even know you applied before unless you applied to their school. If that is the case you will have to tell them what you have done to improve your application since the last time you applied. This is usually on the secondaries from the schools.

Get your Army boss to write a letter. That would be a great one to have.

Go for it, you have lots of other things going for you that may help shadow your GPA. Good luck.

i guess the question is...do you have the money to burn to potentially apply for 2 cycles?

i have had to fully support my family for around the last 9 years and there is no way in hell i could ever afford applying again, which is why i am glad i took a year off after i graduated to solidify myself as an applicant and to prepare for the costs that i am incurring right now.

your ECs and and everything else you have seem excellent but GPA is always a significant factor. some schools that screen gpa/mcat might leave you out since you are under a 3.0. Your mcat is strong, but I dont think it will still help you overcome that 2.7-2.8 gpa. Obviously I am not saying that it is impossible since there are people on sdn and just applicants in general that do accepted with awesome ECs and with your numbers, but just more difficult than another applicant that might have over a 3.0 with similar mcat.

your personal statement will be a great arena for you to show how your personal struggles have helped you in your path towards medicine....as to if it can offset a bad gpa and get your a secondary....for the schools that just dont send one out to everyone...if they dont just do a straight numbers screen i dont think there is anything they can do about it....if they do a screen where they actually read the entire application (what davis does i believe) then you have a chance.

about applying twice...i always thought it went against you since they know you didnt get in once there and so unless you dramatically improved your app the second time around i think works against you. if you did improve a lot im sure it impresses them.

getting a letter from anyone who knows the good qualities about you as a person is always good regardless of where it comes from (most of the time of course haha) so i wouldnt worry about sending an army guy's LOR.

good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback. I guess i'll just go for it then. I could always take teh MCAT again to try to go higher. But i'll think about that later.

In regards to my SCI GPA, i'm gonna calculate out later. Wish my school actually seperated it out on the online transcripts. Therefore i guess my plan would be to do the following.

Oh yea one last question, should i apply to many schools? (20+), i mean the $$ is gonna hurt but it would increase my chances. Anyway, i better start thinking about my letter of rec, since based on what you guys said, its pretty much the thing that'll help me get to at least secondaries. Thanks again!

I've pulled this story out of my butt so many times it hurts. But I do know a guy who had a similar GPA, his transcript was littered with D's. But he pulled a good MCAT score, did a post-bacc, spent a little time in the military and is now attending a top-10

Originally posted by relentless11
Thanks for the feedback. I guess i'll just go for it then. I could always take teh MCAT again to try to go higher. But i'll think about that later.

In regards to my SCI GPA, i'm gonna calculate out later. Wish my school actually seperated it out on the online transcripts. Therefore i guess my plan would be to do the following.

Oh yea one last question, should i apply to many schools? (20+), i mean the $$ is gonna hurt but it would increase my chances. Anyway, i better start thinking about my letter of rec, since based on what you guys said, its pretty much the thing that'll help me get to at least secondaries. Thanks again!

forget about the MCAT. You're better off spending that time studying for classes. In my opinion, a 37 isnt any more helpful to you than a 35 as youve clearly shown you can do well on the MCAT. Worry about your grades.

And whats a 3.5-4.0 on your post bacc? Thats a huge range. A 4.0 is way more impressive than a 3.5. So what is it?

First, have you considered doing military medicine?? I only ask since you said you were all into this military stuff and have experience with it. There's a military residencies forum you should check out if so. The financial deals are awesome as they pay you while you're a student, pay your tuition, books, stethoscope, board fees and everything! In addition, there is USUHS which is the military med school. In return for all this, you require a 4-7 year time commitment to the military once you're a practicing physician. Most people look down on this because of this time commitment, because they don't like the military, or because there is less of a chance to go for top notch residencies. Since you're into this army business, then I'd say you're a good fit for this!

Second, from what you've told me - I'd say give it a try. That is IF you have maintained that 3.5-4.0 for at least a year and have done it taking some upper level science courses. My first two years was maybe a 3.2, but last two was a 3.7 and have had several interviews and a couple acceptances. I've even been told that they like the upward trend.

Regarding your 2.7-2.8 - if you were supporting others during that time, then that's something most of us, certainly myself, DIDN'T have to deal with. Most of us have it the other way around with parents supporting us in college (at least I did and I consider myself lucky). Once we get to med school though, we're on our own. This WOULD definitely be something to mention on your personal statement.

Regarding your personal statement - I think it's one of the most underestimated parts of your app. If you've had all these experiences, then your potential for a home-run essay is definitely there. I'm a big proponent of creating "good karma" :) on one's app aside from those mundane numbers - half of which you already have with your rockin MCAT score.

Applying a second time. I too think it varies. Med schools can look down upon it, but then again, I think many of us know re-applicants who were indeed successful. In your case, the formula for reapplying would be no mystery though at least - forget about the MCAT - just get more good grades. I think you can pull this all off - it may just require some perseverance.

Do I detect a troll? Comon, you shouldn't go to medical school if you are too stupid to realize you don't have to retake with a 35 MCAT. And if your self supporting story is true, you would obviously be able to play that card quite well as your GPA is the only non-exceptional part of your application. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by DrBodacious
Do I detect a troll? Comon, you shouldn't go to medical school if you are too stupid to realize you don't have to retake with a 35 MCAT. And if your self supporting story is true, you would obviously be able to play that card quite well as your GPA is the only non-exceptional part of your application. :rolleyes:

I think you've might have mistaken me for another person, since i personally don't troll these forums. Really though, i'm sorry but i'm just one of those people who push myself to the limit. I agree with the rest of the people who said I should focus on my grades, which has been my focus for the past many months. My only reason for even suggesting that i retake the MCAT is because....there is always room to improve. Thats just my personal thing, where i like to improve upon myself to my own standards.

Anyway, regards to Ek6, yes i have actually considered going through the military. However it probably would take more time to do that, since i would have to complete Officer Candidate School. Lots of time from studying and working.

Well thanks for all the great suggestions! Like i said, I'll focus on grades till June. Grade wise, aslong as i maintain that upward trend i'll be happy. I now need to contemplate how i want to go with this personal statement. Since if i recall the rule of thumb is..."If its more than a page and a half, you better have something good to say about yourself."