Debating whether to reapply this cycle or not

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I Love Cats

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like the title implies, I'm unsure about whether or not it's worth reapplying this upcoming cycle. When I say worth it, I mean in terms of the chances of getting more interviews and acceptances. Rather than vomiting all of my credentials to the point where I may as well have posted in "What are my chances", I'm posting here to get some input in a more general sense.

I applied last cycle, and was wait listed at a couple state schools. I'm now less than a month out from the very first day of the next cycle opening up. Generally, I continued doing well in school, graduated, continued working and volunteering (to some extent), So, I wasn't paralyzed by the failure, but I don't know if the year's time since last cycle is anything special to a committee. Also, generally, I don't believe anything in particular is crippling me on my application. I may just be lacking enough. What should be going through my head? What should I be thinking about with respect to reapplying? What are some questions I should be asking myself? What questions would you ask me? Can any of you offer me any way to explore the situation better to lead to being more confident one way or another?

Hopefully this gives an idea of what I'm getting at with this post. I simply just need to explore the idea of reapplying immediately this June. I've been told by my advisor and some people close to me that I should, but I'm still not a believer. Nevertheless, I do have my letters being submitted and AMCAS being developed once more. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If you delay reapplying, it means you have to retake the MCAT right?

Like the title implies, I'm unsure about whether or not it's worth reapplying this upcoming cycle. When I say worth it, I mean in terms of the chances of getting more interviews and acceptances. Rather than vomiting all of my credentials to the point where I may as well have posted in "What are my chances", I'm posting here to get some input in a more general sense.

I applied last cycle, and was wait listed at a couple state schools. I'm now less than a month out from the very first day of the next cycle opening up. Generally, I continued doing well in school, graduated, continued working and volunteering (to some extent), So, I wasn't paralyzed by the failure, but I don't know if the year's time since last cycle is anything special to a committee. Also, generally, I don't believe anything in particular is crippling me on my application. I may just be lacking enough. What should be going through my head? What should I be thinking about with respect to reapplying? What are some questions I should be asking myself? What questions would you ask me? Can any of you offer me any way to explore the situation better to lead to being more confident one way or another?

Best of luck for this cycle!

Hopefully this gives an idea of what I'm getting at with this post. I simply just need to explore the idea of reapplying immediately this June. I've been told by my advisor and some people close to me that I should, but I'm still not a believer. Nevertheless, I do have my letters being submitted and AMCAS being developed once more. Thank you!

Did you wait list post-secondary? Or post-interview? I think if it was post-interview it could be because you may not "know yourself" enough to truly describe why you would be a good student physician during that first cycle you applied. Take some time for this cycle to really do some introspection. Ask yourself what skills have you developed over the past few years that would really allow you to become an outstanding physician? Academically, have you grown and had an upward trend throughout? Perhaps explanations to that in regards to mediocre c/s GPA may have also been your down fall.

So in regards to helping you to become more confident I personally find this to be most helpful: explaining to yourself why you feel you want to be a physician, if you can do that in self confidence and give a great speech about it that is catchy, unique, and worthwhile then you'll be fine for this cycle. Take it to the next level by explaining it to anyone who asks why you want to be a doctor, ask the teachers who wrote you LOR's to practice interview you as I am sure they have done some sort of interviewing themselves of they are senior members.

Questions: How has this year helped you develop as a prospective student physician? In what areas of your application have you grown tremendously and for what purpose? What self-refliection have you done due to your being wait listed last year? Have you developed yourself in the clinical setting? Have you gained a professional and mature grasp of patient contact? In what ways have you progressed in showing leadership since last application?

IMO I don't think it can just be smooth sailing for this year. There has to be some true development personally, and showmanship through your EC's post-graduation that you really prepared yourself for the rigors of medical school. I am not saying you did not do that, but it takes some real deep self-relfection to acknowledge that you have grown and matured, and are ready for medical school.

Best of luck! :D