:( Debating: Who is gonna write my letter of recommendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChippyChad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, the pharmacy school I am applying requires 3 letter of recommendation from: a pharmacist, a progessor, and a person familiar with your potential for study in a pharmacy professional program.

Since I work at Wal-Mart pharmacy, I decided to let my pharmacy manager "Dick" (yea, that is his name. no, he is not a dick, he actually is a VERY nice person) to wirte me one, and my chemistry professor write me another one. However, I still debating about who's gonna be the 3rd person to write me the LoS, here are the people I had in mind:

1. My Biology professor. I made decent grades in his class Biology I&II. (I had A and B) I am also a memeber of his "Green Club", designed the club logo. Him and I have really good relationship.

2. My Physics professor. He graduated from the FAMU, which is the university I wanted to go to. I talked to him about his FAMU experience before, it seems like he likes me as a student. Althought I just started physics I with him, I still think he is a good person to get a LoR from since he graduated from that place?

3. My Calculus professor. Him and my dad are good friends, and I've been showed up consistently for his math club, math competition, ect. Right now I am taking his pre-cal class. Do yall think the friendship + good course grades will let him put some good words to my LoR?

Those 3 professors they all have doctor degree. Moreover, they all have great reputions in the campus. I really wish I can sumit all 5 LoR, but I have to pick which one gonna make the MOST impact to the pharmacy school. I want they say:" DAMN! This is the guy we need" after they read the LoR.

Thank you so much for your time and Any advice or tips/suggestions would be appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would recommend asking the physics professor since he is familiar with the school, and he can relate some unique experiences of that school to how well you would adjust to those changes once you start. If they read an LoR from someone who knows the campus and would be familiar with the program, then that LoR will probably have more meaning to them than an LoR from some professor at your school (unless that professor is a pre-pharmacy advisor or the faculty sponsor for your pre-pharmacy club).

It doesn't matter. As long as the recommendation is, in fact, going to recommend you. Worry more about your PCAT score and everything else about your application before worrying about the plentiful evaluators you have.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think asking the physics teacher is a great idea - you just started so what is he going to say about knowing you for this past few weeks? It won't be very strong. I don't think it really matters what school he/she is from - does it help to be from a particular school, maybe, but enough to throw away a chance for someone who actually knows you well over a longer period of time, I don't think so.

Thanks for all the replies guys!

FAMU does NOT requires PCAT, so I don't worry about that :D

Here are the reasons why I picked those 3 people:

The Biology professor: I always told that pharmacy school looking for "something that stand out" among all the LoRs. The club logo I designed won the competition and eventually became the club logo. I thought that showed the pharmacy school I am not just a bookworm that making good grades. By the way, I know him about 1 yr.

The Math professor: He has the experience to write the LoRs for schools, and I heard some students had him wrote the LoR that actually got accepted. I know him about 2 yrs, and I am taking his pre-cal right now and going to take his Cal I class.

The Physics teacher: the same reason as Crazybob said, I thought worth more when it comes from a person that graduated from the same university? I could be wrong tho. I am taking his Physics I right now and going to take Physics II with him.

Last edited:
Why they don't allow LoRs from friends? I mean, how is possible for them to find out we are friends? o_O