debt free

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peehdee

don't have one
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many of you guys have classmates who will be dept free when they get out of school either bc

1) have scholarships
2) parents pay for it

Members don't see this ad.

peehdee said:
How many of you guys have classmates who will be dept free when they get out of school either bc

1) have scholarships
2) parents pay for it

one guy in my class is in the MD-Phd program so he gets to go to shool for free + gets a stipend to boot, his parents were going to pay for school, but since they didnt have to they bought him a condo and a new beemer with that money instead.

i feel in a bizzaro world thats how things would work out for me.

peehdee said:

1) have scholarships
2) parents pay for it

Most of my military scholarship friends--but I guess you wouldn't call them debt free since they "owe time to Uncle Sam."

Members don't see this ad :)
There are 3 people in my class which mommy and daddy are paying tuition, it kinda sickens me. At what point do you become an adult and take care of yourself?

macdown said:
There are 3 people in my class which mommy and daddy are paying tuition, it kinda sickens me. At what point do you become an adult and take care of yourself?

Ah chill out. If you could help your kid come out from school debt free, wouldn't you?

I would.

Also, at my school there are tution + stipend scholarships for rural service in IM/EM/FP/OBGYN. The funny part is that there are only 4 counties in Kansas that don't qualify as rural... So it's a pretty good deal if you're wanting to stay out of the city.

stoic said:
Also, at my school there are tution + stipend scholarships for rural service in IM/EM/FP/OBGYN. The funny part is that there are only 4 counties in Kansas that don't qualify as rural... So it's a pretty good deal if you're wanting to stay out of the city.

We have the same deal here in MO, but we can't do EM. Which is what I would want to do off that list.

pwned :/

UseUrHeadFred said:
We have the same deal here in MO, but we can't do EM. Which is what I would want to do off that list.

pwned :/

EM was a new addition for this year... I'm very, very happy about it :thumbup:

stoic said:
Ah chill out. If you could help your kid come out from school debt free, wouldn't you?

I would.

I would love to be able to do that for my kids, but I wonder how valuable it is to have them keep to a tight budget. Maybe I would pay tuition and let them handle the rest.

stoic said:

I would.

Me too. If you can afford it, why not? It's one less thing for them to stress about.

bivwack said:
one guy in my class is in the MD-Phd program so he gets to go to shool for free + gets a stipend to boot, his parents were going to pay for school, but since they didnt have to they bought him a condo and a new beemer with that money instead.

i feel in a bizzaro world thats how things would work out for me.

I think most, if not all, MD-PhD students get free tuition and a stipend.

My parents intentionally did not pay for my college or my medical school. They believe that it will mean more if I have to fork over the money to do it. Not that they don't help out; if I ever really need anything they're more than willing to help, but I've been allright on my own up to now. I think that's fair enough, and I'll probably do that with my kids too.

option #3:
worked for 20 years, saved money, sold house to attend med school

it would have been a hell of a lot easier to have parents pay for med school

Members don't see this ad :)
MechE said:
I think most, if not all, MD-PhD students get free tuition and a stipend.

A lot of MD-PhD programs are funded through the NIH's Medical Scientist Program. Tuition for school is paid, and we get a stipend (~$20k+ depending on the school). Even schools without NIH funding try to have similar packages paid out of their pocket. But then again, we won't be making nearly the same crazy cash in the laboratory that you guys in practice will.

agp4 said:
A lot of MD-PhD programs are funded through the NIH's Medical Scientist Program. Tuition for school is paid, and we get a stipend (~$20k+ depending on the school). Even schools without NIH funding try to have similar packages paid out of their pocket. But then again, we won't be making nearly the same crazy cash in the laboratory that you guys in practice will.

Even though more MD/PhD's are now using the extra degree to match into more cush/higher paying specialties..... ;)

Fermata said:
Even though more MD/PhD's are now using the extra degree to match into more cush/higher paying specialties..... ;)

True, but I guess I wasn't counting the sellouts. :)

Sean2tall said:
I would love to be able to do that for my kids, but I wonder how valuable it is to have them keep to a tight budget. Maybe I would pay tuition and let them handle the rest.

What value would it really be? If they make it through med school and residency, they will never have to live with a tight budget!

fourthyearmed said:
What value would it really be? If they make it through med school and residency, they will never have to live with a tight budget!
Genius ! :D

macdown said:

Stop being a jelous little bi+ch.... you know darn well you would take 'mommy and daddy's' money if you could...we all would. Just be happy for someone else who happened to get a break.

And yes, I am going to end up 200K in debt, just like you.

stoic said:

I would.

Amen....

To you who disagree: I thought this was a compassionate profession?!?

Of course, none of us poorer, self paying students like it that our parents don't have the dough to pay for it. That said, don't be mad at those that have an easier road. It is great for them, but they may not appreciate the value of what is given to them. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. It also makes you a more financially prudent adult.

Has anybody read "The Millionaire Next Door" by Stanley and Danko? I highly recommend it. One of many issues they cover is self-made vs. inherited wealth and the financial habits of both groups.

We will pay for our son's undergrad costs (starting in about 3 years) after he gets the paper at the end. So he has a mighty incentive to finish and not screw around too much.

When it is your nickel, you begin to make wiser decisions about choosing education that leads to a market valued career. Still do something you really like and enjoy, just give consideration to that art history degree and where it may lead you. I think education for the fun and love of it is great, but that is not reality for most of us.

We have a bunch of those kinds of students in our class...many of them are children of physicians, ironically enough.

I've just been living off financial aid and scholarships for the past 3+ years. :( Debt city, here I come!

A bunch of my classmates get plenty of help from their parents. I know some whose parents only pay tuition and then have to handle the rest on their own. But a bunch can just go out and buy whatever they want whenever they want.

As for me, my parents helped a little for undergrad, just enough to cover what I couldn't with scholarships and what I got working. So I have no undergrad debt, though I did go to a state school which is the only reason that was possible. Once I graduated from college though, I was completely on my own.

Do you guys think that the poorer ones who are not afraid to borrow money, either bc they have no choice or bc they know somehow its an investment, tend to be how should i say 'generous'? whereas the kids who come from money, who could borrow money, tend to be less 'generous', even thought relatively speaking, they would have to borrow a lot less money than those with out parental help? another way to put this, any general trends about how richer kids tend to be lousy at spending money, throwing parties. etc..

I don't mind if parents pay for med school, although it would sure as hell be nice if mine did. The ones that piss me off are the ones who are also given a house and a brand new car for getting in. These are the kids with zero loans and plenty of money to waste. Ironically, many of these are also the ones that need to do a lot of growing up.....

I think you also have to realize that everyone comes from different families. My parents would take it personally if I did not let them help me with medical school. It goes along the lines of the "I have to provide for my kids"thinking. But I do understand the value of a dollar and don't spend money unwisely, regardless. One day, I hope I can help my parents when they will need it....

I have a question that I believe is related to this topic. The US News rankings of medical schools includes the average debt of graduates of nearly every medical school. Many of the "top ten" private schools graduate students with far less debt than private schools not in the "top ten". Is this because these schools offer more grants and scholarships than those whose students have more debt, or do the top schools attract students that come from wealthier backgrounds (meaning parents are paying and students arent accumulating debt)?