Debt versus prestige

trudub

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2003
Nebraska
    Let's say you could go to a lesser ranked medical school (a state school) for free on a scholarship or you could go to a well-known, prestigious, higher ranked university but pay the full price. You would be equally happy at either medical school because you like both programs. What would you do? Why?

quideam

Too tired to complain
    7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Apr 17, 2003
    NYC
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      If equally happy, state. Take the $$$ - I want to do international medicine, so the faster I get out of debt, the better.

My 2 cents :)

(btw, I personally don't like either of my state schools, so I would go to a pricey private school instead)

fullefect1

10+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Feb 23, 2003
      Mass
        If it was a top ranked medical school, it would be a very difficult choice. I would like the idea of more oppurtunities with the big named school. It would probably be decided after the interview and tour.

About the Ads

Amy B

I miss my son so much
        Moderator Emeritus
        10+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Aug 7, 2000
        Virginia
        1. Resident [Any Field]
          Take the paid ride. The Prestigious school won't mean anything later in life. Well, it will mean something, but what I am saying is the money you save in tuition is well worth giving up the prestige.

I would love to be able to finish school with no added debt to have to pay off for the next 10-30 years.

prettypea

7+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          Dec 18, 2003
            As somebody who has been in a similar situation, honestly... And this may just appeal to the gunner in you, I would go for the debt and the name. I know that the end goal is getting that M.D., but a good name school carries a lot more benefits and opportunities (usually, and esp internationally) than a state school - tuition-free or not - may not be able to afford you.

trudub

7+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            Oct 23, 2003
            Nebraska
              Well, just for kicks lets go ahead and give names to the schools. The choices are Wash U and University of Nebraska. If I choose UNMC then no debt full ride. If I choose Wash U, the no scholarship and have to pay everything. What kind of doors would going to Wash U open up that UNMC would not? How much difference do you think it will make if I want to get into a competitive residency someday?

edfig99

15+ Year Member
              Feb 26, 2003
              NYC
              1. Attending Physician
              2. Academic Administration
                only training programs care about where you went to medical school. patients generally could care less where you went to medical school or trained (the only exception I can really think of is some of the surgical subspecialties). save your money so you have a nicer place to live in, or better food to eat during residency.

quideam

Too tired to complain
                7+ Year Member
                15+ Year Member
                Apr 17, 2003
                NYC
                1. Resident [Any Field]
                  Again, I really think it depends on what you want to do after graduation. If you want to do derm or something as competitive, then I say go for WashU to be on the safe side. On the other hand, if you want FP, peds, EM, Gas, etc... just about anything besides the top few, then I say for UNebraska - UNLESS having the un-prestigious name is going to bother you ;)

drdoctor

15+ Year Member
                  Apr 22, 2003
                    prettypea, no one will care where you went for medical school. You can do international, surgery, whatever coming out of ANY US medical school and there is no argument in that statement. Both of these schools are good. Take Nebraska and kick ass there for free. You will have all of the options available at Wash. and you save alot of money. Whatever you make in the future goes straight to you.

prettypea

7+ Year Member
                    15+ Year Member
                    Dec 18, 2003
                      I hear what you're saying, doctordr, but I regret. There are virtually no options to going abroad at the place I'm at right now, and I want to work in international medicine so I'm truly stuck between a rock and a hard place. I'd rather take the debt and suck it up - BUT the difference for me is probably greater than for the OP's situation. So it's all relative and totally depends on what the safety school is... in this case, I would probably lean toward NE too.

Gbemi24

1K Member
                      10+ Year Member
                      15+ Year Member
                      Apr 23, 2003
                        Originally posted by trudub
                        Well, just for kicks lets go ahead and give names to the schools. The choices are Wash U and University of Nebraska. If I choose UNMC then no debt full ride. If I choose Wash U, the no scholarship and have to pay everything. What kind of doors would going to Wash U open up that UNMC would not? How much difference do you think it will make if I want to get into a competitive residency someday?

If it was Hopkins, Yale or some other big name school, many on SDN would tell you to pick it over UNMC. However, there are a lot of Wash U haters on SDN so most people here will probably tell you to choose UNMC. Personally, I think the decision should depend on your career goals. If you just want to practice, then go to UNMC and save the money. However, if you want to go into academic medicine, then go to Wash U. Money cannot buy the access and credibility that Wash U will give you. There is a reason why academic institutions list the schools from which their faculty members got their degrees.

About the Ads
                        This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                        7. This thread is locked.