Debt!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hawkeye

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for this post, but I had no where else to turn. I am currently premed right now, and I am seriously looking at UOMHS in Des Moines. The only thing that really worries me is the cost. I have been treated by an osteopathic physician my entire life and have even had the pleasure of shadowing him for a week. I would really love to be a D.O. but I am concerned about the large debt that accumlates over the four years. I have seen the numbers and the average debt is somewhere near $123,000 (U.S. News report) for UOMHS in Des Moines. Can anyone tell me if this number is inflated and it is possible to finance my education? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

GO HAWKEYES

Members don't see this ad.

It is at least that much. It is more when you figure in living expenses. Money is always available. There are always sufficient loans, and there are also scholarsips you can look into throught the government and military. (e.g. National Health Service Corps). Money is not a reason not to go, there are always resources available.

Dear Hawkeye:

I think togo's absolutely correct: money is not a reason to go, nor is it a reason not to go. I am currently an MS II at DMU-OMC (formerly UOMHS), and my debt load upon graduation will be something along the lines of $165,000 principal (not including interest, which begins to accrue 6 mos after grad on some loans). The thought of owing this much money at the age of 28 is, of course, a heady one, and you are reasonable to be concerned. BUT, at the risk of sounding like a pollyanna, the chance to become an osteopathic physician, the chance to practice medicine, is worth that cost to me. It has been my dream since I was a child, and I couldn't imagine myself doing anything else without being plagued by the nagging regret of "what if?" If you can say the same, then the price--though formidable--of fulfilling your dream is worth the expense. And besides, as a physician, you will likely be well-equipped to pay back the bank's money. Think of it this way: Most banks aren't in the habit of risking their investors' money. It's bad business. They wouldn't loan you the money if they didn't think you would be able to pay it back.