Deceased for Contact Info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MsBerry

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I worked in a research lab for over 2 years, and my PI passed away shortly after I graduated/left. Should I put "Deceased" in the contact info or should I put her next of kin? I'm thinking of putting down a grad student who worked in the lab. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I worked in a research lab for over 2 years, and my PI passed away shortly after I graduated/left. Should I put "Deceased" in the contact info or should I put her next of kin? I'm thinking of putting down a grad student who worked in the lab. What do you guys think?
I suggest you use the grad student, a department secretary, or anyone else in the lab that knows your name. Next of Kin would not be appropriate. There are some activities where giving the contact as Recently Deceased would be OK, but this is not one of them. You want your two years of research to look as legitimate as possible.

I'd list the grad student. There's about a 1% chance that anyone would try to contact your reference in the first place, and the grad student could certainly verify that you worked there and that the PI is dead.

Put down the grad student or someone affiliated with the lab. I've run into this problem with my former CO, and putting down someone in my unit seemed to suffice for most things (med school, grants...), although a military grant application did still ask for my CO's contact info...