December 15th, just around the corner

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SigPi

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i realize that we SDNers are a cut above the rest :laugh: and are probably holding multiple acceptances. My question is: With December fast approaching and those HUGE D.O. school deposits on the line where is everyone looking to semi-commit too? Or looking to drop for that matter?

For me its most likely going to be $250 to CCOM and $0 to KCUMB :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

SigPi said:
So i realize that we SDNers are a cut above the rest :laugh: and are probably holding multiple acceptances. My question is: With December fast approaching and those HUGE D.O. school deposits on the line where is everyone looking to semi-commit too? Or looking to drop for that matter?

For me its most likely going to be $250 to CCOM and $0 to KCUMB :thumbup:

$250, must be nice. looks like I will be dropping 2K at WVSOM in the coming weeks. I am perfectly fine with it though, the school is worth it. However, I am still waiting to hear from my TCOM in February.

right now LECOM-FL is in the lead, with LECOM-Erie losing. still have an interview at TUCOM in a couple weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
i keep on going back and forth on ccom. for some reason, i just didn't totally love the school when i was there. i didn't like the area, the curriculum is not very innovative and everyone seemed so young and traditional. the clinicals have to be great, though, and the school's got a great match list. i'm visiting again, so i'll see.

right now, i'm thinking the two top choices are kcumb and dmu. anybody have any insight about these two? and no, i don't care about the neighborhood kcumb is in.

which schools have refundable deposits?

Having a little crisis here:

Always thought that CCOM would be my #1 DO choice, but now i'm having 2nd thoughts.

I really liked KCUMB's integrated pre-clerkship curriculum, def moreso than the traditional distinict classes taught at CCOM ie biochem, micro, etc. It just makes more sense to me and i think i would thrive in this type of environment. HOWEVER.....

I think CCOM's rotations are top notch as far as DO schools go. All are in the chicago area, most at quality sites, most alongside MD students from the other chicago med schools. With KCUMB there is the all but certain move to a CORE in ohio or michigan, then there is the potential for substatial moving even within those states. Chicago is closer to home, but not a big deal.

I guess my conflict boils down to years 1&2 vs 3&4.....any thoughts on how to choose???

AAAAAAAAAAAUUUGH! Why do D.O. schools need such a high deposit?? Well, i know they need to fill a class but damn, this sucks.

SigPi said:

Always thought that CCOM would be my #1 DO choice, but now i'm having 2nd thoughts.

I really liked KCUMB's integrated pre-clerkship curriculum, def moreso than the traditional distinict classes taught at CCOM ie biochem, micro, etc. It just makes more sense to me and i think i would thrive in this type of environment. HOWEVER.....

I think CCOM's rotations are top notch as far as DO schools go. All are in the chicago area, most at quality sites, most alongside MD students from the other chicago med schools. With KCUMB there is the all but certain move to a CORE in ohio or michigan, then there is the potential for substatial moving even within those states. Chicago is closer to home, but not a big deal.

I guess my conflict boils down to years 1&2 vs 3&4.....any thoughts on how to choose???

AAAAAAAAAAAUUUGH! Why do D.O. schools need such a high deposit?? Well, i know they need to fill a class but damn, this sucks.

well, i don't think you have to move around much during the third and fourth years at kcumb. most likely, you'll have to leave kansas city, but i think you get a core site and can do almost everything at that site if you want. i agree that genesis sounds like a great way to learn. good luck on making that tough decision!

as for me, i guess i'll just be putting down deposits to dmu and osu. dmu gave me a scholarship, so they're my cheapest option. osu's deposit is only $100, and it's foreseeable that something will arise where we'll need to go back to that part of the country.

DMU will be getting a big chunk of my student loans pretty soon. But I still have a few more interviews before I start looking for apartments anywhere.

SigPi said:

Kansas City vs. Chicago?

Way more training opportunities and a better quality of life in Chicago.

OSUdoc08 said:
Kansas City vs. Chicago?

Way more training opportunities and a better quality of life in Chicago.

it depends on how you define quality of life. ccom is in a really boring suburban area about 30 miles from chicago (30 miles of traffic!). kcumb is in a bad neighborhood, but it's a short commute from the plaza and westport areas, which are pretty cool. so you can live in super dull suburbs with your strip malls and chain restaurants at ccom, or you can live in a somewhat exciting urban area at kcumb and still for cheaper rent.

my biggest dislike about ccom was the area, and i felt like i personally would not like life if i lived in downers grove or the other nearby suburbs.

just wondering if anyone has advice for nova vs kcom... not considering the living conditions/price of living... which has the better program/rotation sites? dunno what i wanna do yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
exlawgrrl said:
dmu gave me a scholarship, so they're my cheapest option. QUOTE]

just curious but how big of a scholarship did you get and what was it based on mcat, gpa, applying early??

didnt complete dmu's secondary, still thinking about it...but if there are scholarship opportunities....whoooo knoooows

SigPi said:
exlawgrrl said:
dmu gave me a scholarship, so they're my cheapest option. QUOTE]

just curious but how big of a scholarship did you get and what was it based on mcat, gpa, applying early??

didnt complete dmu's secondary, still thinking about it...but if there are scholarship opportunities....whoooo knoooows

1/2 tuition. i think it was based mainly on mcat and gpa, but applying early probably helps, too. on their website, they mention that they have 1/2 and full tuition scholarships, and you'll be automatically considered if you have a 30 and 3.5.

I'm giving a 250 deposit for PCOM-PA and PCOM-GA, although i'll probably be going to PA. 0 for KCUMB

It was so nice to come across this thread. I myself have three acceptances and don't know what to do. One of the schools was automatically out but now I have it down to AZCOM and DMU. I really liked DMU, the people, professors, technology and facilities are outstanding. But the high pass rates coupled with AZCOM being in my hometown, I am struggling to decided in the next two weeks. It's funny because I applied last year, which resulted in nothing but rejection letters and a huge debt from applications. I would have taken anything then. Now, I am getting down to the nitty gritty. Good luck to all I know what a tough decision we all have to make in the next couple of weeks. I wish I had a scholarship from DMU, it would sure make it easier to decide. Congrats to those who received those.

exlawgrrl said:
it depends on how you define quality of life. ccom is in a really boring suburban area about 30 miles from chicago (30 miles of traffic!). kcumb is in a bad neighborhood, but it's a short commute from the plaza and westport areas, which are pretty cool. so you can live in super dull suburbs with your strip malls and chain restaurants at ccom, or you can live in a somewhat exciting urban area at kcumb and still for cheaper rent.

my biggest dislike about ccom was the area, and i felt like i personally would not like life if i lived in downers grove or the other nearby suburbs.

LOL, I have to tell you I have the same decision to make as you (KCUMB vs. CCOM) but I have the opposite view: being near Chicago is a definite PLUS for me over KC.

I lived in KC for almost two years and Westport and the Plaza is not all its cracked up to be. The city is really limited in its social life (if that's what you mean by "exciting urban area") as compared to Chicago or San Fran. I have not lived in either city (although I have visited Chicago many times since I live so close) but my friends who have say there's no competition. Of course, I would never choose a med school based on the 'fun city life', but I just thought I should warn yout to not be fooled by the 'urban' areas of KC---the city is pretty spread out and don't have much to offer in terms of night life.

For me, I don't plan on having a social life in Downers Grove, if I went to CCOM, I'd go into the city for fun. So if I had to choose between the two schools by its fun quotient, I'd have to go with Chicago. However, I'm mainly leaning toward CCOM for academic reasons (clinical rotations, matching etc)---I can't seem to find KCUMB's match list so it's hard to compare. :(

Anyway, I don't want to dissuade someone from KCUMB b/c of any preceived deficiencies in the city, but I do want to share my experiences of what living in KC was like.....

NonTradMed said:
LOL, I have to tell you I have the same decision to make as you (KCUMB vs. CCOM) but I have the opposite view: being near Chicago is a definite PLUS for me over KC.

I lived in KC for almost two years and Westport and the Plaza is not all its cracked up to be. The city is really limited in its social life (if that's what you mean by "exciting urban area") as compared to Chicago or San Fran. I have not lived in either city (although I have visited Chicago many times since I live so close) but my friends who have say there's no competition. Of course, I would never choose a med school based on the 'fun city life', but I just thought I should warn yout to not be fooled by the 'urban' areas of KC---the city is pretty spread out and don't have much to offer in terms of night life.

For me, I don't plan on having a social life in Downers Grove, if I went to CCOM, I'd go into the city for fun. So if I had to choose between the two schools by its fun quotient, I'd have to go with Chicago. However, I'm mainly leaning toward CCOM for academic reasons (clinical rotations, matching etc)---I can't seem to find KCUMB's match list so it's hard to compare. :(

Anyway, I don't want to dissuade someone from KCUMB b/c of any preceived deficiencies in the city, but I do want to share my experiences of what living in KC was like.....

thanks for the kc insight! hmm, so westport and the plaza aren't so cool. admittedly, chicago itself sounds awesome. if i wind up in des moines, i'm probably going to go to chicago a lot just to get a dose of urbanism. i'm weird in that i don't care about going to clubs or whatever, but i do want good restaurants and stuff in walking distance. the whole sprawling suburban live in your car thing doesn't appeal to me.

btw, i have the kcumb match for list for 2004, i think. pm me with your email address, and i can forward it to you.

Me? Money down on DMU ($500) and CCOM ($250) and a couple of other toss ups. Rejected Western, Nova, WVSOM, Touro NV and MI, MSU. Deposits are a biotch. Isn't life grand? :confused:

I have heard that it is not allowed to put deposits down at multiple DO schools at once...is that correct? If you can do that then does anyone know haw long you have to make a final decision.

smithj16 said:
I have heard that it is not allowed to put deposits down at multiple DO schools at once...is that correct? If you can do that then does anyone know haw long you have to make a final decision.

When submitting a deposit you are essetentially buying the right to hold onto the seat you have been offered until you reach a decision. You can send deposits in at every school that offered you a seat. Obviously you'd be very poor afterwards, because these deposits are not chump change...but as an accepted applicant you have earned that right. Their may be a date in late spring that requires applicants holding multiple acceptances to choose so schools can get some movement on their waitlists (May 15 for M.D. schools...i have no idea when for D.O.). But for right now, send in as much money as you want and congratualtions on multiple acceptances!!!

exlawgrrl said:
thanks for the kc insight! hmm, so westport and the plaza aren't so cool. admittedly, chicago itself sounds awesome. if i wind up in des moines, i'm probably going to go to chicago a lot just to get a dose of urbanism. i'm weird in that i don't care about going to clubs or whatever, but i do want good restaurants and stuff in walking distance. the whole sprawling suburban live in your car thing doesn't appeal to me.

btw, i have the kcumb match for list for 2004, i think. pm me with your email address, and i can forward it to you.

exlawgrrl,

I grew up in the KC area, and the previous poster was accurate to a point. If you're into restaurants, you'll love Kansas City because they have a bunch of really good ones, as well as plenty of malls and shopping. The Plaza is cool for a while, as is Westport, but I don't know how much free time you'll have to get bored of it! The Plaza is about a block away from the ghetto, which is interesting because the Plaza is so "fancy". The whole Northwest MO area is like that...no rhyme or reason to the zoning. You'll have a really nice house next to a shack.

I have never been to KCUMB but their curriculum sounds nice. It is in the ghetto (oops, you didn't care about that! :D )I have an interview for Jan, but I'm going to cancel it because I got into my #1 choice. I really liked KC while I was there (through age 21) and would have loved to go back, but family ties are keeping me here. It's a really industrial looking town, not very pretty, but you can find something to do. Good luck deciding!

I grew up in the western suburbs of Chicago so I am familiar with Downers Grove and the surrounding suburbs. You can go to Chicago for fun but there is A LOT of shopping, restaurants, and bars that are closer than Chicago. Naperville and Oak Brook are nice neighborhoods which are about a 10-15 minute ride from Downers Grove and have a lot of the above. There are other suburbs close by but those stand out in my mind now. I left that area 6 years ago and the downtown area was just starting to establish itself. Friends who live in that area say that you really don't need to go to Chicago anymore for grownup fun except for maybe the beach. Yes it is a beach! :cool:

For parents: The public school system in the area is top notch in my opinion. I went to a private school and i can say that the public schools spend a lot of money per student and make private schools look like a poor investment. Lots of out of school activities like the Downers Grove Youth Assoc that my nephew is in.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

NonTradMed said:
For me, I don't plan on having a social life in Downers Grove, if I went to CCOM, I'd go into the city for fun. So if I had to choose between the two schools by its fun quotient, I'd have to go with Chicago. However, I'm mainly leaning toward CCOM for academic reasons (clinical rotations, matching etc)---I .....

$250 sent in to PCOM on friday... Western, NOVA, and UMD got the rejections. NOVA was my second choice though... beautiful campus, and state of the art facilities.

CCOM - $0 Interviewed, Accepted, Turned Down Acceptance
WVSOM - $0 Interviewed, Accepted, Turned Down Acceptance
Nova - $0 Interviewed, Accepted, Turned Down Acceptance
VCOM - $0 Interviewed, Accepted, Turned Down Acceptance

UNECOM - $500 Interviewed, Accepted, Putting Down Deposit

AZCOM - $0 Granted Interview, Turned Down Interview

Looks like UNECOM is getting my money this round.

shenningdo said:

I havent put down WVSOM's $2000 deposit yet, but it looks like i have no choice at this point... I'm glad you didn't have to shell out the $2000. Why does NYCOM interview so late?!

shenningdo said:

You're passing up well established residencies, 100% board pass rates, and excellent climates for sub-zero temperatures and blizzards?

You must either have family in Maine or you got a full scholarship.

Another KC perspective... I am from KC and live here now. The plaza is a wonderful area with shops and expensive restaurants. The bars are very popular and I am told they can be quite fun (not really my scene)... Another plus for KC over CCOM is that housing is much more affordable and I am looking into buying a condo/town house/house in KC if I stay here and go to KCUMB... I don't know how plausible this would be in terms of $$$ in the Chicago area.

I'm also having some cold feet in deciding. KCUMB looks to be a winner. But I'm having more of a problem putting together the money. We had some unexpected bills and yikes this is gonna be a tight one to pull off! :eek: $1000 is a lot for us and I'm trying to avoid credit cards if possible.

I am debating AZCOM ($250) and KCOM ($1000) I might put down on both to buy me some time since I can't make up my freaking mind right now!!!!
ack! :mad:

strawberryfield said:
I am debating AZCOM ($250) and KCOM ($1000) I might put down on both to buy me some time since I can't make up my freaking mind right now!!!!
ack! :mad:

Have you actually visited Kirksville?

AZCOM :thumbup:

OSUdoc08 said:
Have you actually visited Kirksville?

AZCOM :thumbup:

LOL yes!!
I have my reasons...
:D
I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm whining...
Honestly, I'm not meaning to bitch about it, but you can't tell me it wouldn't be easier to only be accepted to only one and not have to decide! Especially when they are my two of my three top choices (the other is in-state MD prog)!
waaaahhhh

jmv10 said:
I havent put down WVSOM's $2000 deposit yet, but it looks like i have no choice at this point... I'm glad you didn't have to shell out the $2000. Why does NYCOM interview so late?!

I know $2,000 seems like a lot, but it is worth it for the peace of mind. When you get that acceptance to NYCOM, you will not have to worry about any other deposits ever again :). Just be thankful we are interviewing at NYCOM first round, or you would have to give WVSOM a second deposit! I cannot wait to hear how it goes at NYCOM; we could be classmates!

OSUdoc08 said:
You're passing up well established residencies, 100% board pass rates, and excellent climates for sub-zero temperatures and blizzards?

You must either have family in Maine or you got a full scholarship.

Actually, neither. A full scholarship would be nice, but it would never happen to me. I am from NY and all of my family is in NY. I want to go to school at NYCOM (1st choice) or somewhere close by. Of the five schools I have been accepted to, UNECOM is the closest and the best fit for me educationally. I do not want to have to get on a plane to see my family at any given time. I loved UNECOM's area, curriculum, staff, and weather, yes, weather. I grew up on the snow; every sport, every family vacation, every good memory. I have an interview at NYCOM on 12/13, UMD-SOM on 12/14, and PCOM-PA on 1/19. I am holding out hope that NYCOM lets me in or UMD-SOM or PCOM-PA impresses me as much as UNECOM did. Otherwise, I am heading to Maine. I will be very happy with any of those four schools; I am just lucky to have the opportunity to become a doctor, regardless of where I am for four years.

FYI jjcandy provide the match list for KCUMB.

exlawgirl, as far as trendy places to live, I would definitely choose chicago over kansas. I was only there for a day and got to walk around downtown a couple of hours and loved it. Lake Michigan is right on the edge of the city, and there are alot of shops and restaurants. Tons of people walking around which I loved.

nrddct said:
FYI jjcandy provide the match list for KCUMB.

exlawgirl, as far as trendy places to live, I would definitely choose chicago over kansas. I was only there for a day and got to walk around downtown a couple of hours and loved it. Lake Michigan is right on the edge of the city, and there are alot of shops and restaurants. Tons of people walking around which I loved.

i dig the tons of people walking around vibe, too, and the urban parts of chicago seem great. i'm going to get a chance to hang out in downtown chicago next week, and i'm hoping to have fun.

definetly go the John Hancock observatory if you can. The view is simply AMAZING!

I envy those of you with so many options. Whats taking PCOM and NYCOM so long to respond? So far I have KCUMB and TCOM on my list.