December NAPLEX Exp.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rx201605

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took Naplex last week and just found out I passed!

This is my second attempt. I used Rx-Prep, I studied differently this time. I went over the chapter first, paid attention to what caused the disease, any drug can cause or worsen the disease, first / second- line treatment. Then went deeper for each class drug brand/generic, boxed warnings, contraindications, class S/Es , highlight the UNIQUE S/Es, it most likely will be on your exam.

Practice, Practice and Practice! if you have Rx-Prep Q-bank, use it, I went over the book at least 2-3 times, then used the Q-bank to check what I remembered or missed. It was very helpful in my opinion.

Questions were all over the place like others, there were some easy points (you know for sure) and some were hard. Make sure you study each chapter. Use "mnemonics" as much as you can to help. if you can not make you own, google it! at least, you must know what are the potent inducers, inhibitors... drug that can cause photosensitivity, DILE, SJS/TEN... and drug S/Es and monitoring by class, as they most likely will be the "select all apply" questions.

Study each chapter, although you may not test on all of them, but know the basic info, for example, go over the IV chapter, at least know what drugs are compatible with D5W or NS, or shouldn't be refrigerated, DEHP and drug that commonly need to be filtered. Know immunization and drug references as well... you will see # questions from the first 26 chapters.

Most biostats questions were straight forward such as RR, RRR, ARR and ITT, but there were some 2x2 table that you need pay attention to it, it was very confused and taking time to solve it, and some were interpretations with the results.

Besides ID, HTN, Anticoag... I want to mentioned is HIV, you must know all the brand /generic name, combo, class S/Es, questions were based on if you know the drug or not. you can not answer the question if you do not the drug. study hard you will not regret.

Be confident! same question can be asked in different ways, for example, at one point they asked for contraindication, and a few questions later, they asked which drug should be avoid or d/c'd based on lab result.

Time management is very important! I was a little behind when the break is called, I only finished just above 100 questions, so I have to catch up at the 2nd half, it was hard. 6 hours seems long, but time went so fast you would not noticing, however, at the end, your brain is tired, I missed some simple questions like TPN calculations.

NAPLEX is not easy anymore, but we got this! be confident ! Good luck to you all, you are welcome to ask any questions.

Members don't see this ad.

congrats RX201605
I am in the same situation , I failed my first attempt, can you tell me please how you were doing on q bank? what range of % score you were getting? .
also how much improved your score after you first attempt.

For the q-bank, I made most around 60% to 70%, some outlier were 50% or 90%, I also took the 185 questions and made a 85% 3 days prior to the exam. I do not think there is correlations in between though.
My score was jumped from 73 to high 90s.

I'm so overwhelmed with the doses. what do u think the important doses that I need to know? thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely pay attention to APAP, IBU, dosing in children, AMG dosing, peak and trough levels, LMWH PPX and Tx dosing, some unique one's like pradaxa, not only know the dosing, but also know it should keep in it's original container, discard after 4 months, and its antidote...something like that, most likely you get tested on unique ones, I know all of them, but I didn't get tested on each one of them, so I didn't miss any dosing questions. Don't stress yourself out too much, just try to find your own way to memorize it. Hope this helps.

do u find rx prep enough in compounding and biostatistics chapters? the 2 by 2 tables and their interpretations are not clear in rx prep so do u think should I practice it from another source?and do u have any recommendations? I took the exam before any I found them were not easy at all, although I was good at the direct calculations like RR and ARR.

The RX-prep is sufficient for both topics on my test. Luckily, I did not get odd questions. It dose not hurts if you have other source to practice. A 2x2 table data normally are raw data, you just need do more work to answer the questions. Do not spend too much time on it as I only had about 2 questions like that.

What about math? How many qustions were there in math? Is Rx prep quiz bank and text book is sufficient to practice math. How many months you took to study the second time. How many hours you study per day?

For math, I used Rx - prep and SDN 120. Overall, math questions was not that bad. As long as you pay attention to what question is asked for, and the units, you need to know all math formula. for example, for CrCl questions, normally question will specify which BW that you need to use, but for dosing questions will not, you need figure it out which BW should be used for CrCl then choose a correct dosage. Practice math questions on Rx-prep without any notes. Try scores them above 90% to 100% . I know some questions on the q-bank seemed too easy, but they are the basic concept that you must know. Hope this helps.
I studied about 10 hours a day for about 3 months. On a "non-productive " day, I either went to work or doing something else:) I used first two months reviewed while book, 3rd month practiced q-bank and tried overcome my weakness based on quiz results. Overall, Practice is the key.

Last edited:
For math, I used Rx - prep and SDN 120. Overall, math questions was not that bad. As long as you pay attention to what question is asked for, and the units, you need to know all math formula. for example, for CrCl questions, normally question will specify which BW that you need to use, but for dosing questions will not, you need figure it out which BW should be used for CrCl then choose a correct dosage. Practice math questions on Rx-prep without any notes. Try scores them above 90% to 100% . I know some questions on the q-bank seemed too easy, but they are the basic concept that you must know. Hope this helps.
I studied about 10 hours a day for about 3 months. On a "non-productive " day, I either went to work or doing something else:) I used first two months reviewed while book, 3rd month practiced q-bank and tried overcome my weakness based on quiz results. Overall, Practice is the key.
Thank you for the deailed answer.

For the 2x2 biostats tables you mentioned, you are just talking about differences between groups, odds ratio, or risk ratio and being able to determine from the given confidence intervals if the results are significant, right?

Hi everyone. I took naplex on 10 Jan. Waiting for my result from csbp. Don't know how much time it will take. Please do pray for me. Oh God please help me. May God bless you all too.

Reactions: 1 user
@Who is that
most likley you will have your score on monday, hope you pass, please let us know,and you exam experience.
check first on nabp.net they will post your score before the state board
wish you best of luck
God be with all us

Hi! Everyone thanks a lot. I dont know some of us think that this is completely a myth (null score/ add score transfer). Keeping my fingers crossed. I followed APHA. My friend suggested that it would be best. I found it very vast and dry. However, always eager to retain knowledge. The test is tooooo long. So many select all, calculations, very legthy biostat questions and compounding calculations. Too mu h random. Pls, pls do pray for me. Thanks, may God bless us all.