December weather in Chicago?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rapid Decomposition

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just scheduled my Northwestern interview for December 10. But then I got to thinking - I have a final on the 11th in California. How common is snow during the winter in Chicago? What if the airport closes? Should I not have scheduled so close to a final? What do you guys who are from Chicago think? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Haha, you guys/gals from Cali, so afraid of a little snow!

We know how to deal with it up here in the North, so don't worry, you'll be fine.;)

Yeh, I am not sure about december, but they are talking about some flakes for this week. Just to remind us that wintre is on its way!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would think that it is important to note that O'Hare does occasionally have significant weather delays. This is particularly significant because O'Hare is a major hub. When the airport has weather issues, United and American flights around the country get queued up pretty heavily.

That said, O'Hare is particularly well-prepared for Chicago weather with plenty of de-icing equipment and such. Most airports surely couldn't deal with such conditions on this grand a scale, but O'Hare has plenty of training and equipment to deal with bad weather.

-RA

haha, thanks you guys! I'm sure they are quite prepared to deal with all but the worst situations.

Originally posted by Rapid Decomposition
So I just scheduled my Northwestern interview for December 10. But then I got to thinking - I have a final on the 11th in California. How common is snow during the winter in Chicago? What if the airport closes? Should I not have scheduled so close to a final? What do you guys who are from Chicago think? Thanks in advance!

That's funny. I'm an MS-IV in Chicago and will need to fly to California at about the same time for a bunch of residency interviews in Los Angeles. Any tips on airfares?

it does get pretty cold in december and the weather is always unpredicatable, so be prepared. you can't really tell when its going to snow in chicago, but maybe this winter will be a mild one!

Originally posted by Epi
it does get pretty cold in december and the weather is always unpredicatable, so be prepared. you can't really tell when its going to snow in chicago, but maybe this winter will be a mild one!

I have a residency interview at Wash U in the first week of December and another at St. Louis U which I still have to schedule. Are there fun things to do in St. Louis? I'm planning to relocate to LA but am exploring my options...

be sure to stay warm b4 your interview by drinking lots of vodka. You wouldn't want to be cold during your interview, so 7 or 8 shots right beforehand might help.

December 10th should be o.k. We don't get the really nasty **** until January and February. In fact, i can't remember the last bad snowstorm in December; they've all been in january or february.

Just my advice though, I wouldn't have scheduled it one day before a final. If it were me I wouldn't want any distractions before a final exam and a major interview at NW would definitely be a big distraction. It works the other way too, having a final hanging over your head the day after your interview may not allow you to enjoy your interview day as much.

Just my 2 cents.

Originally posted by Explosivo
December 10th should be o.k. We don't get the really nasty **** until January and February. In fact, i can't remember the last bad snowstorm in December; they've all been in january or february.

yep, ive lived here my whole life. January is generally the worst. Early december is generally safe, unless we have a freak storm.

Ohare does have lots of equipment to deal though.

Originally posted by neuromd03
I have a residency interview at Wash U in the first week of December and another at St. Louis U which I still have to schedule. Are there fun things to do in St. Louis? I'm planning to relocate to LA but am exploring my options...

Ummm...wrong thread?