MD Decent GPA and Low MCAT. What to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xosmj

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I ended up graduating college last summer with a 3.96 GPA. I transferred into the college I graduated from after plenty of financial and physical struggles in my former college, and had a 3.2 GPA.

In a rush to take the last offered MCAT in January 2015 while going through a family crisis, I ended up with a horrible score of 24 (8 in all sections) ! :cryi::cryi:

Here are some of my EC's:
1 year as a research assistant in a neuro lab
1 year shadowing a physician
Summer spent volunteering overseas in India at a government funded hospital
Worked for 5 years in an organization providing respite services for people with disabilities

I know I definitely have to retake the new MCATS, but what is my best option right now? Should I look into a post bac program, or try to retake before this summer and apply to medical school?

Any suggestions on how to improve my chances? Thanks :happy:

Members don't see this ad.

Calculate your gpa's using the AMCAS and AACOMAS calculators on the sticky entitled "Read This First" on the first page of WAMC.

Thanks for the suggestion. I took your advice and it turns out to be a 3.51 cumulative AMCAS gpa with a strong upward trend. Where do I stand with this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the suggestion. I took your advice and it turns out to be a 3.51 cumulative AMCAS gpa with a strong upward trend. Where do I stand with this?
There may be some DO schools where you have interview chances.
Is that AMCAS or AACOMAS?

There may be some DO schools where you have interview chances.
Is that AMCAS or AACOMAS?

This is specifically for AMCAS, and applying to DO schools sounds like a great idea. However, I would also like to apply to some MD programs, but holding off on that for this cycle seems like the right thing to do. Would an application next cycle with a post bac program completed and a stronger MCAT score be a wiser decision? Your advice has been invaluable, thank you once again.

Reactions: 1 user
This is specifically for AMCAS, and applying to DO schools sounds like a great idea. However, I would also like to apply to some MD programs, but holding off on that for this cycle seems like the right thing to do. Would an application next cycle with a post bac program completed and a stronger MCAT score be a wiser decision? Your advice has been invaluable, thank you once again.
What is your home state?