Decent GPA & EC, low MCAT--what are chances for Caribbean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BillSaunders

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to this forum. Just thought I'd run everything by you guys...

My GPA is 3.3 (already graduated), I have 1 year of ER clinical experience, I did two years of undergraduate research, 1.5 years of science teaching, I was a volunteer for a semester in a NICU, a volunteer one summer in a national program with my university that started to make science education more accessible to inner-city elementary students, and I'm slightly older than the traditional student.

MCAT is 19R :scared:

I'm really demotivated and thinking of throwing in the towel. I'm slated to retake MCAT in May, but after two months of review I don't see an improvement in the practice tests.

What are my chances, if anything of being accepted into the Caribbean right now? Be honest...

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I'm new to this forum. Just thought I'd run everything by you guys...

My GPA is 3.3 (already graduated), I have 1 year of ER clinical experience, I did two years of undergraduate research, 1.5 years of science teaching, I was a volunteer for a semester in a NICU, a volunteer one summer in a national program with my university that started to make science education more accessible to inner-city elementary students, and I'm slightly older than the traditional student.

MCAT is 19R :scared:

I'm really demotivated and thinking of throwing in the towel. I'm slated to retake MCAT in May, but after two months of review I don't see an improvement in the practice tests.

What are my chances, if anything of being accepted into the Caribbean right now? Be honest...

I think that if you don't do better on your May MCAT, and you get accepted to a Caribbean program, you will never be a physician and will have a mountainous debt load. Please spend some time in the MCAT forum, do a few searches, and ask a couple of strategic questions and figure out how to get your MCAT score competitive for DO programs. The trends for funded residency slots is getting less and less favorable for the fraction of matriculating Caribbean students who actually make it past the boards. Do yourself a favor if you want to be a physician and stop thinking of throwing in the towel and figure out what is going wrong.

You will be obliged to pass standardized tests for the rest of a medical career. If you don't get passing scores on your Step I and II tests (after 2nd and 3rd year of med school), you will never graduate from med school and never get a residency. More tests are required to get an independent state license to practice (Step III), to become board certified, and to maintain that certification. The MCAT is a beast you must conquer. If you go to the Caribbean where a demonstrated test-taking ability isn't required, you may end up with part of an expensive medical education to no good purpose. There are med schools in the Caribbean that don't even require the MCAT and will accept anyone with a good credit score. I don't recommend you pursue that path.

So, take a formal classroom prep class, retake prerequisites you didn't understand, hire a tutor, or whatever it takes. Or else consider applying to podiatry schools, which also take the MCAT.

Read this:
Noshie's Hope for those trying to get past an MCAT score in the teens or low 20's:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=774396

Do not give up.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think that if you don't do better on your May MCAT, and you get accepted to a Caribbean program, you will never be a physician and will have a mountainous debt load. Please spend some time in the MCAT forum, do a few searches, and ask a couple of strategic questions and figure out how to get your MCAT score competitive for DO programs. The trends for funded residency slots is getting less and less favorable for the fraction of matriculating Caribbean students who actually make it past the boards. Do yourself a favor if you want to be a physician and stop thinking of throwing in the towel and figure out what is going wrong.

In my short tenure in these forums, this is probably the most absurd thing I've read thus far. Most Caribbean grads do become physicians and practice in the states. I know several people who have gone the route of the Caribbean and are doing fine right now. Are they competitive for the most elite residencies (radiology, neurosurgery, dermatology etc)? Usually they aren't, but that doesn't mean those residencies are out of the question. If the OP just wants to be a general practitioner and is fine with doing any internal medicine residency, the Caribbean might be a good option.

To the OP, please, PLEASE do not let this one exam break your spirit. It's a test, that while is important for admission into medical school, does not define you in any way or reflect on what you are capable of. If your goal is to become a doctor, I think your EC's will carry you a long way. Your GPA is probably competitive for most osteopathic medical schools. If you retake the MCAT and score between a 27-30, you would be in good shape for many DO programs. If you get an MCAT score well into the 30's, you might be in contention for some low-mid tier allopathic medical schools.

If you actually want to go medical school in the Caribbean (which may be the case, although for most people it is their last option) then I would recommend you just apply, you would probably get in somewhere. But if you want to go to a US MD/DO school, I don't think you should turn to the Caribbean just yet without giving this thing everything you got. The MCAT is a miserable exam, but it is beatable. There are many people like you who have scored <20 on their first run, and then eventually get into medical school after a retake.

I don't know what your financial circumstances are, but if possible you might want to turn to a commercial test prep company, or a tutor if you can afford it. If you can't, try to study with some friends and provide encouragement for each other, maybe help each other out where you have your respective weaknesses.

The road to medical school is very challenging for almost everyone. For me, my GPA is something that is hurting my application and I'm working to improve that. For others, its personal matters that have prevented them from investing all their time into this endeavor. For some, like yourself, its the MCAT. For many, its poor interview skills. I mean, think of it this way... You have all the other elements of a decent application, you just have this one last hurdle and by conquering it you put yourself in good position to go to medical school in the US. Just one more hurdle! Again, it's not easy, but doable? Absolutely.

Best of luck to you my friend. Don't lose heart.

In my short tenure in these forums, this is probably the most absurd thing I've read thus far. Most Caribbean grads do become physicians and practice in the states. I know several people who have gone the route of the Caribbean and are doing fine right now. Are they competitive for the most elite residencies (radiology, neurosurgery, dermatology etc)? Usually they aren't, but that doesn't mean those residencies are out of the question. If the OP just wants to be a general practitioner and is fine with doing any internal medicine residency, the Caribbean might be a good option.

Nothing that you said refutes any of my points. If you think that me telling the OP to stay away from the Caribs is the most absurd thing you've read around here, I recommend you do more reading.

Nothing that you said refutes any of my points. If you think that me telling the OP to stay away from the Caribs is the most absurd thing you've read around here, I recommend you do more reading.

+1

Also, you would be kidding yourself and others to claim that, "[the MCAT] does not define you in any way or reflect on what you are capable of."

There have been enumerable studies demonstrating a strong (r > 0.9) correlation between an MCAT > 25 and success in medical school (as well as a GPA > ~3.3).

While the GPA/MCAT system is not perfect, it is a reliable approximation of one's academic potential.

Yea, fix the MCAT before you go to medical school anywhere. You have to learn to do well at standardized tests at some point. Much better to learn now than having to retake (or not being able to pass) Step I.

The fact that you advised the OP against going to the Caribbean was not what I thought was ridiculous. But to say that "you will never be a physician" just isn't true. You could make the argument that the Caribbean has a higher drop out rate than domestic schools, but the majority of Caribbean grads can usually work their way into primary care specialties without much difficulty. On the other hand, matching into a surgical residency or something of the like is often tough for international graduates.

+1

Also, you would be kidding yourself and others to claim that, "[the MCAT] does not define you in any way or reflect on what you are capable of."

There have been enumerable studies demonstrating a strong (r > 0.9) correlation between an MCAT > 25 and success in medical school (as well as a GPA > ~3.3).

While the GPA/MCAT system is not perfect, it is a reliable approximation of one's academic potential.

There are plenty of people who get fantastic grades and end up being poor clinicians. Getting good grades tells medical schools that you have the ability to get through the medical school coursework. But it does not tell them if you have the other important attributes that will make you a strong physician. Getting a low MCAT score on the first run should not be a deterrent because it does not, as I said earlier, define you. Do you actually think your grades define you? Other than saying something about your ability to take tests, I don't think it any way reflects on your intelligence, compassion, and other qualities that are important in medicine. That being said, it is important to learn how to improve your test taking skills and performance under pressure, because there are going to be difficult tests in medical school, and being a physician often times does involve working under pressure.

There is no question that the numbers are critical. But when you look at the bigger picture, which is what I think the OP should do, you realize that a poor MCAT score the first time around will not break you. I'm not trying to be overly optimistic and advise the OP to "shoot for the stars and follow your dreams!" with an MCAT score <20. I am trying to convey to the OP that in the whole scheme of things, a poor MCAT score should not a demotivating factor. He (I'm assuming) can still slowly overcome this obstacle and work his way into a US medical school.

Part of the reason why I don't buy into the huge emphasis on numbers is because on first glance of my GPA, nobody is impressed. But when really looking at my performance, I think its evident that I got off to a poor start and still had the determination and discipline to turn things around and graduate with high honors. Similarly, a 19 on the MCAT by itself says nothing. But retaking it a second time and getting a 30 says a great deal about the individual, and its not evident in just the number.

The fact that you advised the OP against going to the Caribbean was not what I thought was ridiculous. But to say that "you will never be a physician" just isn't true. You could make the argument that the Caribbean has a higher drop out rate than domestic schools, but the majority of Caribbean grads can usually work their way into primary care specialties without much difficulty. On the other hand, matching into a surgical residency or something of the like is often tough for international graduates.

A person who can't make above a 19 on the MCAT on repeated efforts is never going to pass the USMLE Step's, and therefore will never be a physician in the sense that anyone on SDN is discussing. We're not talking about the "majority of Caribbean grads." We're talking about a specific scenario, which the OP presented. 19R, doesn't think they'll improve when they retake in May. It sucks, but that's the situation. The MCAT is not the most difficult hurdle that someone has to jump to become a physician and practice in the US.