Decent GPA, not so great MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Piston95

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I graduated with an overall gpa of about 3.8 and science of about 3.6. MCAT however wasnt so great..28 (BS 10, PS and VR 9)...

I know these days a 28 isnt too great, and I suppose ill retake if I have to.

Other than that I kept myself pretty busy through the college years

- part of a few premedical clubs (volunteering on weekends at cancer walks, science fairs, usher at events on campus etc)

-Worked every summer in college (as a food runner at a movie theater)

-Research for a summer in a hematology lab

-shadowed a nephrologist for a few months

-University honors, and college scholar award recipient

-Played a lot of intramural sports and also helped my old tennis coach give free tennis lessons to kids in the inner city.

I know there wasnt much clinical listed there, but during HS i volunteered at the nursing home as well as 5,6 other hospital departments.

Sorry to list out everything, just wanted to put most of it out there so you can get a better feel for my chances. Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

Also forgot to mention that I am a texas resident. I applied to the texas schools as well as what most would consider the "lower tier" out of state privates (Drexel, Ros Franklin, GW, nymc) just to name a few.

I'd say you are in good shape for the texas public schools and lower to middle tier schools in general. If your personal statement is decent and your secondary essays are alright, you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you have a great chance of getting into medical school! You have more than just an ok GPA and your MCAT score is pretty good. I have a friend that took the MCAT three times and she got in with her highest score which was a 24, not to mention that her GPA was the same as yours. I really think that you will be ok, and you don't need to take the MCAT again unless you just want to. Just work on your personal statement and just really sell yourself when you get those interviews because you will!! I wish I was in your shoes. I took the MCAT a few months ago and I only got a 20 so I definitely need to take it again. But I am saying this all to say, just really pray and believe that you will get in. If it's meant to be it will be and trust me you will get in!! Good Luck!

I know there wasnt much clinical listed there, but during HS i volunteered at the nursing home as well as 5,6 other hospital departments.

If I were you I'd be more concerned about the lack of clinical experience during college, than about the MCAT score. AMCAS doesn't want you to list high school experiences, as med schools won't consider them unless you continued the activity into the college years. Maybe Texas schools are different as they use a different application service.

I think you have a great chance of getting into medical school! You have more than just an ok GPA and your MCAT score is pretty good. I have a friend that took the MCAT three times and she got in with her highest score which was a 24, not to mention that her GPA was the same as yours. I really think that you will be ok, and you don't need to take the MCAT again unless you just want to. Just work on your personal statement and just really sell yourself when you get those interviews because you will!! I wish I was in your shoes. I took the MCAT a few months ago and I only got a 20 so I definitely need to take it again. But I am saying this all to say, just really pray and believe that you will get in. If it's meant to be it will be and trust me you will get in!! Good Luck!

hey, thank you for the kind words of encouragement.......and keep your chin up, its just a test, don't let it get you down..study hard for the next time and things will go your way