decent MCAT, meh GPA, but good experience(s)? [accidentally posted in MD forum]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goodmcatmehgpa123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just finished my PS and revising it now before submitting this week (Mon/Tue). Thought I'd share my basic statistics and get a feel for how screwed or not I am?
Academics:
  • 32 MCAT (11, 11, 10)
  • 330 GRE (170 Q, 160 V)
  • cGPA: 3.39
  • sGPA: 2.9
  • post-bacc GPA: 2.89 (woke up late for an exam by 45 min, first time ever, was a double exam day, so I basically had 1 hour less to take two 2-hour exams, dragged my GPA down)
  • realized I needed time off for personal reasons so decided not to continue with year 2 of post-bacc for masters'. wasn't sure if I wanted to do MD/DO route OR go to the research/MSc route. Used the time to take anatomy, retake a bio class from undergrad (got an A), deal with my personal ****, shadow, and work on the side.
    • QUESTION: should I mention this at all in my PS and if so, how much?
Experience(s):
  • shadowing >100 hours in diff departments of hospital (ER, psych)
  • 1 publication: literary journal in college (science behind why low-alcoholic beer can be considered a good post-workout hydration method)
  • 1 year RA in behavioral neuroscience lab (college, no publications)
  • 6 months RA in cardiology lab (at hospital, then they lost funding for lab so couldn't keep me on)
  • Recs from 2 professors, 2 employers
  • Shadowing a DO atm, will be getting rec letter soon
  • Dorm RA in college (2 years)
  • Taught kids in under-served schools (K-12) about neuroscience and science in undergrad
  • Spent 2 spring breaks in Utah for Alternative Break Volunteer trip, second year was a coordinator for the trip. Worked K-6 aged kids on basic health education (washing their hands, really elementary stuff), teaching them math and basic science, helping set up new dorms for them (it was a mix of a day and boarding schools)
  • Working for private tutoring company (tutor HS/college kids for math and science classes; provide college admissions counselling for students applying to undergrad)

Members don't see this ad.

Spend a year retaking upper level bio classes that you scored poorly in and get your sGPA to a 3.3+. Absolutely mention everything in your personal statement and talk about how you've grown as a student and that your personal problems affected you negatively but you fought through adversity or w/e and you're now a great student. Even though the post-bacc GPA is somewhat damning, I still think it can be overcome by getting your stuff together and actually performing well in these courses. Your MCAT is very solid, your ECs are very research focused, which is good but less of a factor with DO schools. Perhaps add in some more clinical and nonclinical volunteering this year while retaking courses and you should be competitive for DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like @Goro is going to have good advice on this... I would personally say to apply because your MCAT and cGPA are not bad for D.O. Your science GPA is bad but maybe not a deal breaker... I think the worst part is the post-bacc disaster. That looks pretty bad and is a big red flag I think. Maybe apply now to maybe 10 schools and work on your app (as someone above said) assuming you will be reapplying.

The poor performance in your post-bac will be lethal at my school.

We don't care about GRE. The MCAT is very nice.

Retake the poor coursework from the post-bac, and carry on. I can't recommend applying this year. You want to apply with the best possible app, and apply once.

Don't explain in PS's...they only come off as excuses, and/or displays of poor judgment. Save explanations for interviews.

Just finished my PS and revising it now before submitting this week (Mon/Tue). Thought I'd share my basic statistics and get a feel for how screwed or not I am?
Academics:
  • 32 MCAT (11, 11, 10)
  • 330 GRE (170 Q, 160 V)
  • cGPA: 3.39
  • sGPA: 2.9
  • post-bacc GPA: 2.89 (woke up late for an exam by 45 min, first time ever, was a double exam day, so I basically had 1 hour less to take two 2-hour exams, dragged my GPA down)
  • realized I needed time off for personal reasons so decided not to continue with year 2 of post-bacc for masters'. wasn't sure if I wanted to do MD/DO route OR go to the research/MSc route. Used the time to take anatomy, retake a bio class from undergrad (got an A), deal with my personal ****, shadow, and work on the side.
    • QUESTION: should I mention this at all in my PS and if so, how much?
Experience(s):
  • shadowing >100 hours in diff departments of hospital (ER, psych)
  • 1 publication: literary journal in college (science behind why low-alcoholic beer can be considered a good post-workout hydration method)
  • 1 year RA in behavioral neuroscience lab (college, no publications)
  • 6 months RA in cardiology lab (at hospital, then they lost funding for lab so couldn't keep me on)
  • Recs from 2 professors, 2 employers
  • Shadowing a DO atm, will be getting rec letter soon
  • Dorm RA in college (2 years)
  • Taught kids in under-served schools (K-12) about neuroscience and science in undergrad
  • Spent 2 spring breaks in Utah for Alternative Break Volunteer trip, second year was a coordinator for the trip. Worked K-6 aged kids on basic health education (washing their hands, really elementary stuff), teaching them math and basic science, helping set up new dorms for them (it was a mix of a day and boarding schools)
  • Working for private tutoring company (tutor HS/college kids for math and science classes; provide college admissions counselling for students applying to undergrad)

Reactions: 2 users
The poor performance in your post-bac will be lethal at my school.

We don't care about GRE. The MCAT is very nice.

Retake the poor coursework from the post-bac, and carry on. I can't recommend applying this year. You want to apply with the best possible app, and apply once.

Don't explain in PS's...they only come off as excuses, and/or displays of poor judgment. Save explanations for interviews.

which school is yours, just out of curiosity?