Decent Step I, Low Step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

av35

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Any insight into my chances in securing a residency with 86/82 scores, very high GPA? I was hoping my step 2 were going to be about the same as step I or better but I guess my luck ran out...ps I am a US IMG...got 8 or 9 interviews pre step 2 score..now I am afraid the rejections are going to be coming in particulary since I haven't heard anything in the last week?

Members don't see this ad.

av35 said:
Hey,

Any insight into my chances in securing a residency with 86/82 scores, very high GPA? I was hoping my step 2 were going to be about the same as step I or better but I guess my luck ran out...ps I am a US IMG...got 8 or 9 interviews pre step 2 score..now I am afraid the rejections are going to be coming in particulary since I haven't heard anything in the last week?

You will no doubt be able to match easily to some program. If you already have 8-9 interviews in hand, then chances are excellent that one (probably more) of those programs will include you on their rank list. You will therefore match. It is impossible for anyone to say which programs you will be denied an interview without knowing which programs you have applied to.

Bottom line: As a US IMG (or a US US-grade for that matter) with scores of 86/82 will you get interviewed at Duke, Columbia, Mass General, Hopkins, etc? It is certainly possible, but statistics might not be in your favor. However, will you be able to match to a nice internal medicine spot? Chances are very much in your favor. Good luck on your interviews.