Decided to take another gap year...would like to improve app as much as possible in the meantime

doc05

2K Member
15+ Year Member
May 24, 2003
U.S.A.
Visit site
Status
you need to apply already. unless you win a nobel prize during your second gap year, I can't imagine any substantive improvements that can justify a full year off.

OP
G

genericscreenname

2+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2015
Nice MCAT improvement there, did you take the first one on a dare?
Lol not quite.

you need to apply already. unless you win a nobel prize during your second gap year, I can't imagine any substantive improvements that can justify a full year off.
I agree but things aren't going to work out this year for better or worse. Plus I think there's always room for improvement. Tips for a 12 month Nobel prize? ;)

Bump for any real advice please

MareNostrummm

D.O. Class of 2022
2+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Woah extremely nice MCAT improvement...

Try to find some unique E.C.s that you will be passionate about and be able to bring up in interviews, something that really sticks out.

I'm assuming you are only planning to apply for MD schools? The DO cycle is much longer, and you could still be ready to apply for the 2017 cycle as late as January once you have things sorted out. (someone can correct me).

CavsFan2016

2+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Same story here with the MCAT - scored a 27 2 years ago and a 517 this summer.

You look like you have a realy solid app. Just focus on getting some more clinical experience and do things your passionate about. Enjoy your free time while you have it, you're going to miss it in a few years I'm sure!

OP
G

genericscreenname

2+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2015
Woah extremely nice MCAT improvement...

Try to find some unique E.C.s that you will be passionate about and be able to bring up in interviews, something that really sticks out.

I'm assuming you are only planning to apply for MD schools? The DO cycle is much longer, and you could still be ready to apply for the 2017 cycle as late as January once you have things sorted out. (someone can correct me).
Thanks, I think you're right. Easier said than done but on the lookout for jobs or volunteering opportunities that are unique/I would enjoy. And yeah, planning to apply MD.

Same story here with the MCAT - scored a 27 2 years ago and a 517 this summer.

You look like you have a realy solid app. Just focus on getting some more clinical experience and do things your passionate about. Enjoy your free time while you have it, you're going to miss it in a few years I'm sure!
Thanks, congrats on your improvement as well! Glad it's finally over with.

Still open to any other ideas if you guys have them.