Deciding a School List: any help will be appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDDS_1998

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Degree: Biology in my last semester
Residency:Texas
oGPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.4
Shadowing: 100ish hrs by the time I apply this May, 3 general dentists
Volunteering: 100+hrs, hurricane relief, church volunteer, food bank
Employment: I have worked on/off past three years, and currently I have two jobs: one as a student assistant (14hrs/week) on campus and another working as a front desk receptionist (24hr/week)
Leadership: President in one org and treasurer in two others, have had leadership roles over 4 years of undergrad (current senior)
DAT: 18TS, 18AA, 18PAT, and 15QR---I am studying to retake right now and will retake in May

I am a reapplicant and I had applied to only TX schools last cycle (I was naive and should have applied to many more) but this cycle I am going to apply to all four TX schools, but I am trying to come up with 6 OOS schools to apply to and so far I have this list:

1. Creighton
2. Marquette
3. University of Buffalo
4. A.T. Still Missouri
5. Howard
6. Temple

Any schools I should take off, or any schools I should add on? Any input would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I would take off Missouri, all of your schools are rather expensive bc they're OOS but Missouri is almost 50K more expensive than your second most expensive (Creighton), and that's before interest. Outside of your state schools, Marquette, Temple, and Howard are the top schools on your lists as far as friendliness towards OOS applicants and cost. Other than that, solid list imo, shoot for a good score on the DAT and you should be golden

Degree: Biology in my last semester
Residency:Texas
oGPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.4
Shadowing: 100ish hrs by the time I apply this May, 3 general dentists
Volunteering: 100+hrs, hurricane relief, church volunteer, food bank
Employment: I have worked on/off past three years, and currently I have two jobs: one as a student assistant (14hrs/week) on campus and another working as a front desk receptionist (24hr/week)
Leadership: President in one org and treasurer in two others, have had leadership roles over 4 years of undergrad (current senior)
DAT: 18TS, 18AA, 18PAT, and 15QR---I am studying to retake right now and will retake in May

I am a reapplicant and I had applied to only TX schools last cycle (I was naive and should have applied to many more) but this cycle I am going to apply to all four TX schools, but I am trying to come up with 6 OOS schools to apply to and so far I have this list:

1. Creighton
2. Marquette
3. University of Buffalo
4. A.T. Still Missouri
5. Howard
6. Temple

Any schools I should take off, or any schools I should add on? Any input would be appreciated!
Take off Temple. Add Stony Brook and UConn.

Members don't see this ad :)
Edit your post to match this template so that we have more info: ► TEMPLATE: How to Format your WAMC Thread ◄

Your DAT is the weakest part of your application so I might just wait until you retake your DAT to decide what OOS schools to apply to.... I'm thinking mostly/all privates unless you pull off a really high DAT to balance out this first attempt.

Reactions: 1 user
Take off Temple. Add Stony Brook and UConn.
I would not add stony or uconn. They're pretty hard to get in as an OOS esp with those stats. Great schools though. I would think about Louisville or Kentucky instead.

EDIT: Maryland as well if you improve on your DAT

I agree with artist, if you only slightly improve your score, you should think private schools for your oos choices. Regardless of your score, these are the oos friendly schools for TX. The surrounding states tend to take their own residents. Apply broadly, 14-15 schools, and early (within the first month). Also, if you are not an URM, you should remove Howard from your list.