Deciding between Jan. and Mar. test dates. Insight appreciated.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AAATPase

My friend Rob and me
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Been a lurker for about 4 years, now I have an MCAT schedule dilemma and am hoping for insight.

I am currently signed up for Jan 23 MCAT, and have been sinking about 30 hours a week into it to at this point. I have been using TBR for PS, and have been impressed, as the passages and text have practically re-taught me long forgotten concepts.

I have take three practice tests:

Kaplan1 (P9/V11/B10) Taken one month ago
AAMC3 (P9/V9/B11) Taken one week ago
AAMC4 (P11/V13/B11) Taken yesterday

My dilemma: I now have now until March FREE from most obligations other than volunteering and working on committee letter requirements. While I am happy with my last test, I still feel very uncomfortable with PS, and have done minimal OCHEM/physiology review. I am wondering whether taking the next 90 days to hit the sciences hard (I have access to both TPR and Kaplan resources) and take a March test seems like a good idea or “SDN crazy”. The alternative is scrambling to shore up PS and Ochem over the next three weeks. I feel as if a strong science background will help my score more than relying on getting lucky on VR again.

Anyone have experience with delaying until March and feel it was worth it? I would love to hear from someone who has “done this before”. This question in my mind has begun to hamper my studying (clearly).

Note: I still have all remaining AAMCs, Kaplan FL’s and AAMC diagnostic material. No shortage.

-Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you don't think you've done all the content review you've wanted and you think you can accomplish all of that with an extra month and a half, then postpone it. Otherwise take it in January if your practice test average (just AAMC) comes out to where you want it to be.

What's the disadvantage of waiting if you don't have anything else to do til March? If you'd feel more comfortable then, if delay

Thank you,

My main concern is that it seems that the general advice is 3 months of studying, and beyond that you begin to decline, perhaps due to forgetting week 1 stuff.

While I finally feel like I can do the problems that may me asked, I think I am lacking the understanding necessary for unfamiliar experimental problems under time stress. Ie: tell me it’s a rate law-I got it. Mask that fact, and I don’t think I have practiced enough to push through.

I guess it’s best to reserve March now before they fill up? Looks like my new test center is one hour away now.

Perhaps time to read-though TBR PS again and hit the in-text questions? Mirror SN2 for the remaining months?