Deciding between Public and Private (undergrad)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThermonMermon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm in a position where I've been accepted to a private university and the state university in which I would really love to attend their med school in the future.

The private school is relatively cheap as far as privates go, 22k a year, and I've already been awarded 10k in scholarships and grants for this upcoming year and more scholarship opportunities as I prove my worth. I've kind of been sold on the small class size and solid adviser relationships.The state school on the other hand will be somewhere around 9k a year and is the institution where I would love to attend med school.

Any advice as to which I should choose? Do attending the school for undergrad and applying to their med school hold any weight with admissions?

P.S. I will be an independent student, so I will be living off of student loans and possibly part time work if I can manage it.

Members don't see this ad.

state med schools do take mostly in-state students, so if thats where you wanna be at after undergrad, id go with the state school. it still seems cheaper than the private school even after scholarships.

I would go with the private school.
I currently attend 1 and it is GREAT to know that all your professors know your name and about YOU as a person. this will make LOR's very personal and better than letters you get from a teacher that hardly knows you.

But if you think you reallly cant afford it then the state school is ok.
Talk to financial aid, there is always more scholarship money out there for provate schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would go with the private school.
I currently attend 1 and it is GREAT to know that all your professors know your name and about YOU as a person. this will make LOR's very personal and better than letters you get from a teacher that hardly knows you.

But if you think you reallly cant afford it then the state school is ok.
Talk to financial aid, there is always more scholarship money out there for provate schools.

How well a professor knows you is all about how you assert yourself in class and in extracurricular activities related to your department.

Depending on the state you live in, medical schools SOMETIMES "look down" on state schools (best example is the Cal State Univ system is California.) So, some admissions committees will look better upon you if you go to a private school. However, from personal experience it is always better to go to the cheaper school, because med school will add anywhere from 125K-300K to your debt load, and it is best to add the MINIMUM amount possible from undergrad to this hefty amount. Someone else posted about small class sizes and instructor attention. Yes, you MUST have at least 2 science professors write you letters when it is time to apply to med school. If you are in a Bio class with 200 people, it is hard to get the attention of the professor and create some type of relationship. It is much easier if you are in a class of 80-100. At some state schools, class sizes are smaller. Bottom line: no easy answer. Go with your gut feeling.
Dr. R.

I go to a small state undergrad. It is perfect for me. Someone else mentioned liking small class sizes, and that is exactly what I have. My bio 101, my biggest class, had 100 students. Most of mine have about 20, with labs about 10-15.

You don't need to go to a private school for small class sizes, just a smaller state one.

I literally laughed out loud when I read a thread on here saying "you are a premed gunner if more than 2or 3 professors know you by name" Well hell if thats the truth I am the ultimate! I've got at least 10 professors that know me.

At least you aren't thinking about going to your undergrad for prestige :rolleyes:. That is useless.

Normal tuition is only $185 per credit hour, so 185x16=3000 per semester FULL PRICE. I had decent SAT scores and a good high school gpa, so I got a scholarship for about 90% of that. Scholarship are really common here, because these small state colleges need to attract better than average students to bring their averages up.

My total cost, after 4 years of college at a fully accredited university with a (small) branch of the medical school I was accepted to, that led to good MCAT scores, and a killer GPA, was about 2400 out of pocket. Go to your private undergrad if you want to spend more than my entire undergraduate education on a meal plan. Otherwise, go cheap. Undergrad is a means to an end my friend.

Depending on the state you live in, medical schools SOMETIMES "look down" on state schools
No way. This is simply not true. MAYBE a community college, but a 4 year state university? no freaking way.

So I'm in a position where I've been accepted to a private university and the state university in which I would really love to attend their med school in the future.

The private school is relatively cheap as far as privates go, 22k a year, and I've already been awarded 10k in scholarships and grants for this upcoming year and more scholarship opportunities as I prove my worth. I've kind of been sold on the small class size and solid adviser relationships.The state school on the other hand will be somewhere around 9k a year and is the institution where I would love to attend med school.

Any advice as to which I should choose? Do attending the school for undergrad and applying to their med school hold any weight with admissions?

P.S. I will be an independent student, so I will be living off of student loans and possibly part time work if I can manage it.

The private school is 22k - 10k and you can potentially get even more scholarships? That isn't really financially any worse than your state school, so if you like the private school better, why not go there?

i transferred from a public to a private and the difference in the quality of education and the student body is huge. you will get a lot more out of your experience at the private (as long as you've visited and know you will be happy, etc). just my 2 cents.