Deciding between SMP & PostBac, where do my stats place me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

recycledpaper

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,

i am interested in applying to the georgetown SMP program for fall 2011. my app isnt strong enough for med school so i was hoping i could get into the SMP program and maybe afterwards have a better chance at med school. but i heard that SMPs are actually quite competitive as well and that i may or may not get into one based on my stats. some of my friends mentioned postbac as an option but it feels like a postbac won't raise my GPA by THAT much.

my stats are 3.15 cGPA, 3.21 sGPA from UC Irvine. my gpa was brought up by my 4th year, where i got 3.8+ 2 outta 3 quarters. i also just got my first mcat score back and it was a 28S (10 bio, 10 verbal, 8 PS).

what are my chances of getting into georgetown SMP based off those stats alone? i tried to do research but couldn't land on anything conclusive. if people have any experiences, it would be great if you could bestow some on me. my parents are very worried for my future :(

my ECs include:

-started a health-based volunteer organization my 3rd year
-for said club, acted as director of local projects my founding year and then co-chair the year after (2 years total). our focus was on local and international good-health awareness and disease prevention in children.
-volunteering 250+ hours at a hospital doing stuff involving patients (patient care)
-started a non-medically-related business July 2007 and am running it to this day. remains profitable and a very important part of my financial life.
-multiple volunteering trips to orphanages as well as a free clinic in peru.

thanks for any advice/tips.. hope this is enough. i'm very pressed for time and would like to avoid taking the mcat again but if i need to i think i can muster a better score. i was only able to study 4 weeks for the mcat due to some time constraints and other obligations.

Members don't see this ad.

that's not competitive for the top SMPs... I think you might have a shot at EVMS though.

Yah I don't think you are that competitive for the top SMPs.

Members don't see this ad :)
ok, thanks for the responses!

what are the commonly agreed upon top-ranked SMPs?

you could probably get into rfu with those stats

ok, thanks for the responses!

what are the commonly agreed upon top-ranked SMPs?

there's no official rankings for SMPs really so it's all just opinion. I think Cincinnati is probably the best one right now, followed in no particular order by BU and Tufts, with GT, EVMS, RFU, and others somewhere behind them. Other people will have differing opinions. I am not a fan of GT for numerous reasons.

there's no official rankings for SMPs really so it's all just opinion. I think Cincinnati is probably the best one right now, followed in no particular order by BU and Tufts, with GT, EVMS, RFU, and others somewhere behind them. Other people will have differing opinions. I am not a fan of GT for numerous reasons.

okay thank you. i will research these that you mentioned and apply broadly.

from the looks of it, postbacs are less competitive than SMPs. if anyone can chime in on this that would be much appreciated.

also, drizzt, what are some of the reasons you dislike GT? from what i've read it looked like a nice program, but nothing beats first-hand experience.

okay thank you. i will research these that you mentioned and apply broadly.

from the looks of it, postbacs are less competitive than SMPs. if anyone can chime in on this that would be much appreciated.

also, drizzt, what are some of the reasons you dislike GT? from what i've read it looked like a nice program, but nothing beats first-hand experience.

The top postbacs are far more competitive than smps but they're for different types of candidates.

GT is full of gunners and is generally a pretty malignant program in my experience from first hand accounts, and their success rates aren't as good as they claim.

The top postbacs are far more competitive than smps but they're for different types of candidates.

GT is full of gunners and is generally a pretty malignant program in my experience from first hand accounts, and their success rates aren't as good as they claim.

ah i see. i was under the impression that postbacs are for improving upon poor undergrad gpas.

my friend got into wash u postbac with a 2.85 sGPA and 23 MCAT... unless of course wash u isn't a top postbac school.

and man i hate gunners, lol

ah i see. i was under the impression that postbacs are for improving upon poor undergrad gpas.

my friend got into wash u postbac with a 2.85 sGPA and 23 MCAT... unless of course wash u isn't a top postbac school.

and man i hate gunners, lol

There are two kinds of postbacs, one for career changers (competitive) and academic enhancement postbacs (not so competitive). The latter category includes smps.

There are two kinds of postbacs, one for career changers (competitive) and academic enhancement postbacs (not so competitive). The latter category includes smps.

oh okay, i had postbacs and smps as different things altogether and did not know they were inclusive.