1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Deciding between UHS-COM and Kirksville.

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by jefftzeng, Nov 17, 2000.

1. jefftzeng

jefftzeng Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I've been accepted into UHS-COM and Kirksville and am having trouble deciding which school to choose. I grew up in a small town, so the city of Kirksville won't be a problem. I really like the new curriculum that UHS has, but Kirksville has so much history and has excellent pass rates on the boards and such. Feedback from current students of either school would be helpful. Also, other premed students that selected on school over the other please advice. Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dostudent

dostudent Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

At UHS - in 1999 we had a 100% pass rate on COMLEX part 1 and a 99.5% pass rate on COMLEX part 2; UHS students taking the USMLE step 3 in 1999 had a 100% pass rate; students taking the COMLEX step 1 in 2000 had a 97% pass rate

The pass rate for the new cirriculum won't be known until the summer of 2002.

4. milleniumhc

milleniumhc Member
    10+ Year Member

[​IMG] I am a current first year at KCOM....I love it there. Curriculum wise, I believe that I am getting an excellent education. Our cadavor to student ratio is 4:1, our classrooms were built with the ability for any student in the room to bring their lap top and hook up to the internet (certain professors will use this for classroom interaction), and our OTM department is made up of some of the very best doctors in the field. I absolutely love my professors here. They are wonderful. Most of them will do anything that they can for you and a lot of them take it upon themselves to know every student's name. We follow the AFFOM curriculum so that all of our classes are integrated together and we have an integrated testing exam each semester to see how they are doing with the program. I feel that I could not have gotten a better education elsewhere, honestly. At KCOM you are immersed in both the history of the profession, yet you are learning in the "now". So it is great to be able to see where we were and where we are now. I actually know of a person in my class that had to make the same decision that you are making now. She was torn because her mom went to UHS and she felt bad telling her mom that she was going to KCOM. She made the choice, she told me, based on the school and their locations and facilities. Board-wise, they have almost identical passing rates. I guess that it comes down to where you think that you will feel the most comfortable, because that is very important for your success. If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask me.

Sincerely, mhc

5. Akron Ohio

Akron Ohio Member
    10+ Year Member

I have decided to attend KCOM for the class of 2005 after my acceptance. Overall KCOM was the best by far. As the student stated before there is so much the school offers that all the other do not. I interviewed and was accepted at 7 DO school, but most of the schools had some negative quality in the curriculum. KCOM was the only exception. One thing I liked was how the professors revolve around the medical students. Many other schools have PA, and Physical Ther. programs which take the focus off of the medical students. At KCOM the medical students are the prime focus. The facilities to me were among the best too.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

6. cjkalmat

cjkalmat Member
    10+ Year Member

I have been accepted at KCOM also, Congrats to you Akron, Ohio [​IMG].
    Ok, I agree the Basic Science education is excellent at KCOM based on what I have learned from current 1st and 2nd year students, but how about the clinical part of their program. Does KCOM still provide students an excellent clinical education? How are the teaching faculty (throughout the various rotation sites) for the 3rd and 4th year?

7. Akron Ohio

Akron Ohio Member
    10+ Year Member

I don't know too much about the various rotation sites, but I do know that they have a rotation in Ohio that is excellent. They are part of the Ohio CORE program associated with OUCOM and other Ohio allopathic medical schools. The hospitals in Ohio are all in the Cleveland vacinity, near where I live and are all excellent hospitals. A couple are even part of the Cleveland Clinic system. I am unsure of the other sites but if you go on KCOM's web site and check out there section on rotations it gives you a brief description of the hospitals and even shows you pictures of them. They all seemed like great facilities to learn at.
    How do you feel about KCOM's year long school year? I was a little upset about losing out on my first summer off but figured that it was definately worth it for the education.

8. cjkalmat

cjkalmat Member
    10+ Year Member

I just spoke to a 1st year student yesterday. I asked her about the same question about the year long curriculum and she said that she actually didn't mind it and actually thought it will benefit her. Medicine is such a vast subject that having a year long program will contribute to your education because it gives you less chance of forgetting the material. It is constantly reinforced and thus could possibly be one of the reasons why the students do so well on the boards at KCOM. She said she did not mind it and it's not completely year-round. You actually get like a 2 week break somewhere during the summer, just not a traditional 2 month+ vaction.

9. double elle

double elle Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

You are deciding betweek Kirksville and Kansas City, right? I am thinking uhs-com is in KC.

I know others have commented on the scholastics at KCOM, but I am going to take a different approach to this. I live in Kirksville and have to mention the value of being within WALKING distance of just about all school-related things. Now, you may have to jump in the car if you go to Wal-mart...but other than that..you can find housing that is right in the middle of practically everything. No highways, no interstates..and hardly any stoplights. Okay, so this may sound like Redneck, USA...However, I am not sure about you..but I certainly don't plan on having an extre 30-45 minutes EACH WAY to spend just getting from here to there when I begin medical school. Again, this is a very small thing..but when you consider how valuable your time is...............well, you get the picture.

My second point is that the cost of living needs to be compared between KC and Kirksville. I am sure you have looked into this..and money may not be an issue....but there is a BIG difference. THEN, add in that gas money for that commute! When my husband and I were considering moving there if I were accepted there and not KCOM..we looked at the areas surrounding the school in KC...both of us agreed that the closest neighborhood we would even consider was amost 40 minutes (no traffic considered) from the school....then add in the time allowed for traffic, parking, weather, etc..

Anyway..these are small, little points..but day in and day out...they add up to quite alot of one's time and money!

Just my thoughts. Oh, and if UHS-COM is NOT in Kansas City (because I am too lazy to check at this time!!)..then, sorry, I am an idiot.

10. TNT

TNT Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Interviewed and accepted to both. I will not be attending either one of these schools, so I will give you my honest opinion with nothing to sell. GO TO KCOM.