Deciding if I should apply, my chances?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drshark

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been reading the forums for some time now, but recently joined.

c

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would apply.....go for it....knock the MCAT dead bro

I would apply.....go for it....knock the MCAT dead bro
I'm hoping for at least a 30, the lowest I think that I would allow myself to apply with is a 26, but that's really pushing it i feel:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)

I am a bio major, graduating in 2013. I didn't do too hot my freshman year, but i am doing very well in tough subjects such as ochem (ironic) lol I do better in harder subjects, got a B+, and A. my sci GPA is not too good, 3.3 but after this semester hopefully a 3.4. because my AP classes accounted for a lot of my undergrad easy GE I didn't get the extra fluff classes to raise my non sci which will be a 3.3 when I apply. I plan on applying June 1st, but I am taking a few easy classes over summer (1st session) which may even raise my sci gpa to a 3.5 by the time my app is done processing. I am taking the MCAT in early july, so I will have scores by early august, and since my app will have already be processed I would still be considered "early." I am doing strictly DO schools. currently as of dec 2011, I have been doing clinical research at a hospital, I have been volunteering at a school for over 6 years, I have done shadowing, I have co founded a program to help minority children learn about hygiene. I have volunteered for random events my club has put on, such as going to the homeless shelter, breast cancer marathons, etc I am starting lab research this summer as well. Things I don't have on my app are scholarships or any type of honors thing besides AED, (I've been invited to a few, but never cared to join, now i'm kind of regretting it) I was wondering am I a good candidate?? My top schools are Western, Pcom, and Midwestern. I appreciate advice!

Yeah the GPA isn't spectacular but it's not a deal breaker by any means, especially if you do well on the MCAT.

Go for it, apply broadly (you never know whose demographics you fit into, don't fit into), make the MCAT your b*itch and you should be just fine.

Your GPA is higher than mine was!

The MCAT is the great equalizer. So many people ask what their chances are without an MCAT score and it's completely pointless.

I am a bio major, graduating in 2013. I didn't do too hot my freshman year, but i am doing very well in tough subjects such as ochem (ironic) lol I do better in harder subjects, got a B+, and A. my sci GPA is not too good, 3.3 but after this semester hopefully a 3.4. because my AP classes accounted for a lot of my undergrad easy GE I didn't get the extra fluff classes to raise my non sci which will be a 3.3 when I apply. I plan on applying June 1st, but I am taking a few easy classes over summer (1st session) which may even raise my sci gpa to a 3.5 by the time my app is done processing. I am taking the MCAT in early july, so I will have scores by early august, and since my app will have already be processed I would still be considered "early." I am doing strictly DO schools. currently as of dec 2011, I have been doing clinical research at a hospital, I have been volunteering at a school for over 6 years, I have done shadowing, I have co founded a program to help minority children learn about hygiene. I have volunteered for random events my club has put on, such as going to the homeless shelter, breast cancer marathons, etc I am starting lab research this summer as well. Things I don't have on my app are scholarships or any type of honors thing besides AED, (I've been invited to a few, but never cared to join, now i'm kind of regretting it) I was wondering am I a good candidate?? My top schools are Western, Pcom, and Midwestern. I appreciate advice!
As a few others said do well on the MCAT, the schools that you are focused on have some higher requirements... apply broadly.

Is 20 DO schools a good amount? or do you suggest doing all 26? (If i'm not mistaken)

Is 20 DO schools a good amount? or do you suggest doing all 26? (If i'm not mistaken)

If you're gonna do 20 anyway, might as well do 26. Get a 27+ on the mcat and you should get a bunch of interviews

which ones would those be??

Last edited: