Aug 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Good afternoon, everyone.

I have just a couple quick questions. There are a couple schools that I included on my general application through AMCAS that I no longer wish to pursue the admissions process with at this time. However, they have already e-mailed me their secondary applications. If I simply choose not to submit my secondary application, thereby allowing my application to be dropped, is this an appropriate manner of de-selecting schools that you no longer wish to apply to? Will this hurt my chances if, hypothetically, I decide to re-apply to these same schools during the next application cycle next year?

Thank you for your assistance!

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Good afternoon, everyone.

I have just a couple quick questions. There are a couple schools that I included on my general application through AMCAS that I no longer wish to pursue the admissions process with at this time. However, they have already e-mailed me their secondary applications. If I simply choose not to submit my secondary application, thereby allowing my application to be dropped, is this an appropriate manner of de-selecting schools that you no longer wish to apply to? Will this hurt my chances if, hypothetically, I decide to re-apply to these same schools during the next application cycle next year?

Thank you for your assistance!
1) By AMCAS classification, you will are considered to have applied to the school once your application has been transmitted to the school.
2) You should be proactive and email the schools formally withdrawing your application as it is more professional
3) In either case (formally withdrawing or letting it your application simply lapse) you may have a question on it if you reapply. However, since many people fall into this category (never filling out a secondary) it will likely have little, if any, impact

OP
j_smith898
Aug 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you very much for your quick response! I will be sure to email the admissions offices of each of the schools in question.